Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McKee View Post
Milton C Starr,
Can that be translated to ft. lbs at 40 yds & 50 yds?
Thanks!
Jim
So I found a ballistic calculator I could use and this is what it came up with for 40 and 50 yards .

First a #5 bismuth pellet .
yards fps ft lbs
40 625 2
yards fps ft lbs
50 532 1

Lead #5 for comparison
yards fps ft lbs
40 703 3

yards fps ft lbs
50 622 2

From everything ive read from guys who shoot bismuth on various shotgun forums the majority of them say when shooting bismuth you dropped down 1 size from lead shot .

To see how true that is heres is a #4 bismuth pellet
yards fps ft lbs
50 573 2

So its goings a little slower but retains the same ft lbs at 50 yards as a #5 lead . #4 Bismuth pellet is 2.7grs and a #5 lead is 2.5grs . I believe the bismuth shot is slowing down faster because its light in relation to its diameter because a #4 lead is still moving at 652 fps at 50 yards with 3ft lbs of energy .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,120 Posts

Thanks for doing those numbers, Milton. That's "confirmation" for why #4B has worked out so well for me over the years. I'm grateful we have bismuth approved as a non-tox.

Next season I will "try my hand" at using my 32" 20 ga. DHE on some ducks with NiceShot loads that I purchased from a friend after the last season went out. Never used NiceShot before, but have heard great things about it.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #13
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Thanks for doing those numbers, Milton. That's "confirmation" for why #4B has worked out so well for me over the years. I'm grateful we have bismuth approved as a non-tox.

Next season I will "try my hand" at using my 32" 20 ga. DHE on some ducks with NiceShot loads that I purchased from a friend after the last season went out. Never used NiceShot before, but have heard great things about it.
Bismuth also seems to be one of the most available shot types right now as well . That 32" 20 sounds like a sweet gun .
Unread 04-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #14
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,120 Posts

She is a sweetie, Milton. She's at Jim Kelly's right now having the triggers lightened from 7 1/2 and 9 lbs. to 3 1/2 and 4. I shot her a couple of seasons on doves, but I can't shoot triggers that hard effectively.

Here's a pic of her on the dove field a couple seasons ago.

Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 04-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #15
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
She is a sweetie, Milton. She's at Jim Kelly's right now having the triggers lightened from 7 1/2 and 9 lbs. to 3 1/2 and 4. I shot her a couple of seasons on doves, but I can't shoot triggers that hard effectively.

Here's a pic of her on the dove field a couple seasons ago.

Im trying to get into reloading seems powder is impossible to get at the moment. I figure I can get everything else and then when things start coming back in stock I will just need the powder .

Havnt seen any lead shot in stock really but bismuth seems to be plentiful still .
Im going tomorrow to pick up another vintage double , while not a Parker it is interesting I will post some pictures after I get it home .
Unread 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #16
William Parks
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've been shooting and researching Boss shells for a 3 years now, but just acquired my first Parker - a 12ga DH 30" Damascus. Boss sells their "stinger" shells that were referenced above, and I've requested some technical specifications from Brandon Cerecke who is the owner. I'll post here once he sends it over.

Basically their stinger shells are a low compression, 1oz load that has a better shot pattern than some of their larger magnum shells. They do run around 1375 fps, but everything I have read up on them compares more or less directly with the RST bismuth shells, which claim to be safe for Damascus barrels.
William Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

I called Boss last week and the young lady id the did not make any low pressure loads...

Whats up with that ?
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #18
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Parks View Post
I've been shooting and researching Boss shells for a 3 years now, but just acquired my first Parker - a 12ga DH 30" Damascus. Boss sells their "stinger" shells that were referenced above, and I've requested some technical specifications from Brandon Cerecke who is the owner. I'll post here once he sends it over.

Basically their stinger shells are a low compression, 1oz load that has a better shot pattern than some of their larger magnum shells. They do run around 1375 fps, but everything I have read up on them compares more or less directly with the RST bismuth shells, which claim to be safe for Damascus barrels.
I got two different 10 ga loads at the moment both 1 1/4 oz one is 1100 fps other is 1250 fps the slow one shoots extremely dirty . The 1250 fps is a bismuth load it burns much cleaner I suppose because its a higher pressure load . Both RST loads I think the medium ground is trying to find a load that is easy on the old guns but also doesnt look like youve been shooting black powder . Those 1100 fps ones leave clumps of unburnt powder in the bores of my 10 gauges . If one was so inclined you can load tungsten matrix for damascus barrels also but from ive read its only slightly better than bismuth but I have no first hand experience with TM .
Unread 11-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #19
William Parks
Forum Associate

Member Info

So to correct my definition of "low pressure" loads, I talked with the owner a little bit today and there is some interpreting to be done. Their stinger loads are the light 1oz loads that still have about 10,000 psi. He was under the impression that Damascus barrels (to no fault of his own given the common misconception) are proofed at around 5,000psi. Comparing the stinger loads from Boss to the bismuth loads from RST that they advertise are safe for Damascus, the loads are very similar. I'm waiting for some more technical specs, but the Boss guy is going to assess things based on the new information.

I would love it if these shells would be safe for my gun, as they are putting out new production daily on their inventory
William Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #20
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Parks View Post
So to correct my definition of "low pressure" loads, I talked with the owner a little bit today and there is some interpreting to be done. Their stinger loads are the light 1oz loads that still have about 10,000 psi. He was under the impression that Damascus barrels (to no fault of his own given the common misconception) are proofed at around 5,000psi. Comparing the stinger loads from Boss to the bismuth loads from RST that they advertise are safe for Damascus, the loads are very similar. I'm waiting for some more technical specs, but the Boss guy is going to assess things based on the new information.

I would love it if these shells would be safe for my gun, as they are putting out new production daily on their inventory
William: Please keep us in the loop going forward regarding the pressure stuff....

Thanks
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote