Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Hunting Hills Vitage Shoot
Unread 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Default Hunting Hills Vitage Shoot

Great venue, great guns, great weather, great times. We were blessed to have a 70+ degree morning( in the 30's today) for the shoot. Driving in thru the gates at Hunting Hills, past the southern style house, to the lodge, the tensions of the week fade quickly. Pheasants and chukars are scampering around the fields, and Roy with his big stetson hat and even bigger smile is there to greet you. I had left home an hour early, just to be able to sit and relax with a coffee before the day began. Joining me were old friends DR and his son DJ from Grove City, Pa, and shooting sporting clays for the first time, was our PGCA member Brett Hoops. Brett was a little nervous about shooting for the first time, but we were a low key group, there to have a good time. On the first round, Brett shot his little DHE 20 with 30" barrels, DR and DJ shot a 16 and 20 JP Sauer ( DR is a big fan of Sauer shotguns), and I shot my 4E Ithaca 16.
On the second round Brett shot his VH 16 O frame, DR a 12 ga Sauer, DJ a Browning, and I shot the little Manton hammer 20. Brett was really starting to relax and get in the SC groove.
Brett brought out his little VH 28 ga for the final round, DR another 20 Sauer, and I shot my new unknown maker German round body hammer gun--by the way, it is lighter than Bretts 28 Parker.
Kudos to Brett, on one difficult station that we shot 3 times, he went 17/18, missing only his final shot--I do believe we got that boy hooked on sporting clays now.
A few pictures from the day:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (563.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (533.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (489.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (560.2 KB, 2 views)
Unread 04-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

The last photo is a view out toward Chestnut Ridge of the Alleghenies, often written about by GBE. Frank Jezorio, from Pointing Dog Journal, and former WV head of the DNR was also there, and he told Brett about the time I found one of his young pups running loose in the UP and brought it back to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (575.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (493.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (486.0 KB, 1 views)
Unread 04-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Harold, were they 100 target rounds? If so, you guys have more stamina than I do. Nice pictures of a neat place. I have never had the pleasure of shooting there.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gary, for the competition they are 50 rounds. The regular course is 100 rounds, and he usually has at least 2 courses open + the 5 stand. We shot 3 times, so 150 birds.
Unread 04-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was so very fortunate to get to tag along with Harold and the Millers, I had a wonderful time. It was a bit of a reunion for me, as I had not been to Hunting Hills for 30 years, but have know the Sisler family for 45 +. It was so inspiring to see what Roy and Sally and Ras though a lifetime of work have accomplished! American pride in hard work has never been lacking in this family, and you can't turn your head far and not notice attention to detail is a daily chore. Scenic, challenging targets, Greene County hospitality made for a fantastic day and vintage SxS shoot.

Many Thanks to Harold! I still keep thinking of your latest hammer gun. You may not know all the details, but what fabulous flyweight 16! And you shoot it awfully well!
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote