Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Need Advice...
Unread 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
RedRiverII
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Need Advice...

In short, I'd like to get a Parker. I'd like to use a sxs 'just because'. I'm recently retired, well three years retired. Compared to my work life of fifty some odd years, three years still seems recent.

I want a Parker for several good reasons. American made being foremost, and being manufactured during the foremost years of our Great Experiment. Parkers may have very well been used by our Greatest Generation, the WWII guys. My Dad rolled off names of places he visited during the War that now rebound like a history book when I recall them. So another reason for a Parker is a piece of history, a tactile reminder of who we really are.

I've been in search of shotguns for a short time relatively so when I visited PGCA for information I found an informative and inviting atmosphere. A reward in itself. I sent in a membership because there really is no free lunch. For all the joy in doing we still need capitol, so I join sites to vote for and reward excellence. Much to my surprise I received a wonderful welcome package. Thank you.

Which Parker would you suggest if I wanted to shoot clay games? I do not enjoy skeet as much as sporting or 5 stand. At this point I'd like to shoot. I've viewed some terrific Parkers that I'd like to own in the future as a collector, but just not yet. Then again the hammer guns are particularly attractive and The Siren song has begun.

I'm aware of the lack of information I've offered, so if you would steer me in the correct direction I'd be obliged.
Alexander Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Sharpe For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Figure out how much you want to spend and what gauge would be most beneficial for your needs. The future value of your Parker depends on three things condition,condition,condition.

Educate yourself to the best of your ability before spending any money and look at as many guns as you can either on line or in person. If it's possible attend SXS events such as the Southern to actually handle these fine guns. Even if you don't shoot the ability to see hundreds of Parker's (yes that's right hundreds) is worth the trip.

You can shoot the clay target games with any gauge you want to. I typically use the same guns I bird hunt with. Small bores cost more than a 12 but they also resell for more. A 12 vs a 20 will come back to that budget thing.

There are a lot of if's in this but the folks here are all glad to help you just have to ask the questions.
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 2,674 Posts

I agree with COBs advice. Big difference in price not just from 10 or 12g to the smaller bores, but also between "shooters" and collectors.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Intro to the Parker Gun
Unread 04-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Default Intro to the Parker Gun

Sorry, I wanted this in a new thread..... so I moved this entry.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advice
Unread 04-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Mark Riessen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Advice

Research, research, research, take your time, don't make a rash decision. You have to be sure of what you want. What am I really going to do with this gun. Clays ? Trap ? Skeet ? Hunt ? The more guns that you can look at or handle the better. Most of the Parker guys love to share their experience and knowledge. Good luck, Mark
Mark Riessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Riessen For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Most folks shooting Clays or 5 stand are shooting modern, long-barrelled 12 gauges, choked something like IC/Mod
Unread 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don’t know your Florida location but the Southern SXS April 26 through 29 Sanford NC would pay big dividends buying a Parker. See and shoot a lot of different SXS guns before buying .

Parker GCA is a significant plus, support available from members extremely valuable. If you attended we could steer you in the right direction.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Especially if you are at an event such as the SxS, do not be afraid to have a gun you are considering purchase of looked at by someone more knowledgeable.

Buy a good gun. Anything that is not fooled with and has some condition woukd fall into this category. A gun can have condition and still be a shooter. If well taken care of, it will remain with the condition it holds. Or a quality restoration would also fit the bill. If you do this, you are sure to have made a good investment and also avoid headaches that come with buying a bad gun.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,195 Posts

If you are starting out and on a limited budget, I would look at a 12 gauge because the price is much lower and you can shoot really light loads 7/8 or 1 oz loads or beef it up for plains hunting to 1 1/4oz (if need be). You can find nice shooting Trojans in 12 ga that's a shooter for under $1000 or near that if you look but a 20 is probably going to be close to $2000. I have seen guns with little case coloring, nicks in the stock, blueing fading but the gun is tight and on face because it's been well taken care of, and I've seen guns that look in nice condition that have problems. When looking at a gun if you can have a second set of "eyes" looking at the gun they may pickup something that you missed. If you are unsure pay a hundred buck to have Brian or Bachelder look at the gun and do a general strip and clean. The more guns you look at the better.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good Fit= Good Shooter. You will find that Parker stocks do vary. I got lucky and the second one that I bought I have been shooting for many years. I've had some that were much nicer but did not fit me so well, There is a lot to consider as with all shotguns. You are on the right track so sniff out the right one and you will be happy. Good Luck.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post: