Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Parker/Fox Challenge Cup
Unread 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,411 Posts

Default Parker/Fox Challenge Cup

Well, it was certainly a challenge As has been stated, the Fox guys had enough shooters to make the 5 team limit however they couldn't get them all to show up for the shootoff. 3 showed up at the 5 stand at 3:00pm. We waited for 20 minutes and after searching for the other 2, we finally found 1 of them. What to do? Basically the Fox team should have forfeited the shootoff and the cup, but Parker being magnanimous and feeling sorry for those guys from Philly let them shoot with only 4 shooters and let of them shoot an extra 25 targets so both teams shot at 125 total. Parker shot first and shot an 86. Fox shot their normal rotation shooting at a total of 100 targets. Now they had to make up the additional 25 targets. The result came down to the wire and Parker eeked out the win by a score of 86 for team Parker and 83 for team Fox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEN_0003.jpg (110.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GEN_0005.jpg (103.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GEN_0011.jpg (69.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GEN_0017.jpg (139.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GEN_0022.jpg (91.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GEN_0042.jpg (147.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GEN_0044.jpg (163.3 KB, 8 views)
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Cool! Looks like a good time
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,918 Times in 420 Posts

Chuck, you are correct sir, we should have conceded the match. What transpired from the Philly side of the tracks this weekend (and last) was simply inexcusable. Our lack of effort/participation was not worthy of such an esteemed contest. I sincerely hope the Fox membership kept the asbestos panties from their welcome packet because tomorrow morning they're going to need 'em.

Fortunately, the FPC trophy is out of my hands, for I'd fire-up my neighbor's Bobcat and bury it in a six foot hole. Getting a bit tired of pi**ing into a 70-knot headwind here, but I guess that's just the Sicilian in me mouthing off.

Kudos to K-MaC for handling our booth and especially to the scant few men in blue (Smitty-Allen-Daryl- Alan) who bothered to show, and who shot damn well, despite the gyrations caused from the missing-man syndrome.

I'd like to say we'll see you next year but at this juncture that's a crap shoot at best. Again, congrats on the win.--SC
Unread 09-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

I disagree about forfeiting/ conceding the shoot.

The shooters got together and discussed on how to make it happen. Guys from both sides met and discussed a mutual agreement so the shoot could go on. I say good on the Fox shooters for finding a way to make it happen and for having the balls to go out there and give it a go.

I have no opinion or dog in the fight to tell you all what to do with the shoot next year but you should know several folks watched. It drew a crowd and there were some great shooters in the crowd who stated they would have their foxes ready for next years event.

Hope you can find common ground for the event. But again well done to the fox foursome for going out on the line for their team and organization.

Oh and by the way. Two of the fox guys were shooting 20 gauges. And they shoot them very very well. Yeah the score may show 86 to 83 but IMO the fox guys won it in a different way. Well done fellas.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Thanks John. They do call it the "Challenge" for a reason. I think the agreement between the Fox gentlemen and the Parker gentlemen to go ahead with the Challenge truly exemplifies what this is all about. And I use the term gentlemen in the most respectable way. You are correct in that Fox may have lost by 3 targets but it will be the most memorable shootoff I've ever been in. We'll be talking about this one when we are in our rockers on the front porch.
Also thanks for the compliment on the 20 gauges. I've never felt handicapped with just 3/4 oz. of shot and I think that Allan felt the same way although he may have been shooting 7/8 oz. You dance with the girl you brought.

I'm a Fox and a Parker guy. I just want to see this tradition carry on and as Parker had never won the Challenge until now, congratulations.

But I must tell you there are rumors about our 5th shooter being detained by a high ranking Parker official somewhere in the dense woods around station 9. Can't confirm that but the local Sheriff is investigating the grisly details.
Unread 09-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Congrats Team Parker!!! Well done guys!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 09-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I am curious, what was attendance like at this shoot? I read Tool Man's rant on the Fox collectors site. Is the problem of having difficulty fielding a makers team related to the time of year the shoot was scheduled or is it related to fewer people shooting classic double guns overall? Or is it related to teams usually being made up of same good shooters discouraging others and or people who enjoy shooting but don't want the pressure of having to compete. I don't remember this being a problem at Hausman's when the FPC was held there, was moving the FPC a bad move? I do think we are a small group of people interested in all the old doubles and as the veterans age out we are not being replaced.
Unread 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Pete;
Bottom line. The Fox team had 5 shooters and a alternate. Four shooters showed up to shoot but we could'nt locate the 5th shooter or the alternate. They left and /or we could'nt find them at the start of the challenge. Attendance was'nt huge but the challenge is a new concept at this shoot, unlike Hausmann's where it was established, and if given time will establish a following. The missing shooters just were'nt aware of the program.

The reason the shoot was moved from Hausmann's to Hopkin's was to attract more Parker shooters. What the Fox team shot against was the A team Parker shooters from the Southern -Parker/Smith challenge. Just look at the names on the leader-board posted somewhere on this forum. As far as challenges go- this was one for the record books but it's not the end of the world as we know it.
Unread 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,411 Posts

Just to be accurate, the Fox team had 3 shooters show up on time for the shootoff. After about 15 to 20 minutes of searching, we located the 4th shooter. Made for a long wait for everyone to get the shootoff started.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Out of curiosity, how many total shooters were there for each team in the qualifying rounds?
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote