Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,227 Times in 1,200 Posts

Thanks all for your feedback. I haven't had a chance to get any paper patterning done with RST 16ga/2-1/2" regular shells and spreaders. Have to get in gear, our grouse season is almost here.

I used the word "rare" for 26-inch barrels because that's the word used by R W Elliott on page 126 of his definitive book Uncle Dan Lefever Master Gunmaker.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Frank,

With due respect to Bob Elliott, whose two books are fantastic, and I value my signed copies...

Just as much was learned between 1986 and 2001 (the years of their publication), much has been learned since 2001. The internet's growth has shown us many more guns than Bob ever saw before publishing his books. And forums like this one have allowed us to share to a degree he didnt have.

Bob did a remarkable job estimating production figures and characteristics given the information he had at the time...but more is known now. And collectors are working from far greater lists of guns.

I have owned a 12ga with 26" barrels, and have seen more than a few others. They are...uncommon.

In the history of the world, there is only one single book ever written which is "definitive." Everything else is in a perpetual state of update, and reevaluation.

- NDG
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick de Guerre For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #13
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,227 Times in 1,200 Posts

A similar scenario as with McIntosh's A H Fox book that was published in 1992. Much has been learned on Fox and no doubt on Lefever guns since their respective publication dates but the fact remains they are the only books available to enthusiasts on the subject makers.

These recent learnings present a good opportunity for research/historian type gents to publish corrigendum booklets, pamphlets or even a few sheets to supplement those books. Otherwise those who are attracted to these makers rely on the respective book and use it as their "bible" on that gun maker. To be sure, writing and publishing supplemental information takes motivation and time, and it's much easier to post tidbits on internet talk websites like this one. But random posts get diluted in megatons of other cyber info and those with interest must search for and find that data, and if/when found there's always the question if it's just one more person's perspective that may or may not be correct.

Last edited by Frank Srebro; 10-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Slight rewording for grammar
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cold Spring,

I agree. Sadly there are some amazing people who have left reams of knowledge on the web which likely wont stand the test of time. But some of them have been published in the DGJ, which to me, is really the go-to resource...in part because it's ongoing and updatable.

- NDG
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick de Guerre For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I couldn’t agree more Frank!

Case in point, all of Drew’s contributions and his wonderful Damascusknowledge website that has reams and reams of links, pictures, and countless copies of pulp pages from long ago - all of which could conceivably be lost lest it somehow be published in book form.

And this is just one, although very significant, example.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had a 16 ga DS 26 inch with ejectors and still own a GE 16 26 inch Damascus gun. Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Brooks For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i have a ds lefever but it has 28 inch barrels....you fellas have me bested with those 26 inch barrels...my dad would only shoot 26 inch barrels on quail he liked improved cly and modified barrels on double guns...alas he always out shot me with those short barrels....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i have a ds lefever but it has 28 inch barrels....you fellas have me bested with those 26 inch barrels...my dad would only shoot 26 inch barrels on quail he liked improved cly and modified barrels on double guns...alas he always out shot me with those short barrels....charlie
Not to take anything away from the 26" guns. They are novel, interesting, and very handy in tight places, but you have, IMHO, the best all-around barrel length with your 28" gun.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote