Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 08-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Biggest hurdle. If you make more than $32k a year, congratulations that puts you in the top 1% club of global wage earners. Cost/Benefit analysis or so called Dollars and Sense calculation on a individual, micro and macro scale just doesn't compute.

Listen to anything Mike Rowe says and you can get a picture about challenges to our work force.

It is hard to go beyond much more to address other complex issues and challenges without getting into a political discussion so there I stop.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Does everyone else concur that the gun shown has "real bone and charcoal case hardening"?
Unread 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think the true "bone and charcoal case hardening process" at the Huglu factory was an option for Dehaan and Kimber guns. I don't know if they all had it but know some did. Ordering a Dehaan was to some extent Au LaCarte menu on some features. Here is a Kimber that has it. I do know that even some of the CZ's had a hardening process that had a result of imitating the bone and charcoal look, but it wasn't the actual process.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101075729

Remember years ago RGS got a bunch of the Kimbers to auction off at banquets to generate some cash but had trouble getting rid of them. I think if you wanted a true sidelock that was made in last 15 years that would not break the bank and you got a lot of gun for the money, it would be hard not to look at em.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 08-31-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Unread 08-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Whatever the process is, Kreighoff used it on my gun which was built about 10 years ago. Same process also used on my CSMC RBL. On the RBL, the finish began to flake off. CSMC made good on it. Appears to be some sort of painted on stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K80.jpg (516.6 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

My .410 DeHaan is case colored correctly. It is MUCH more muted than the subject gun, and is wearing in a burnishing manner like it is supposed to. When I ordered the gun from Mark, we spoke “ad nauseum” about every detail, including that I did not want the receiver varnished over the case colors as I didn’t want to see that flaking. The only thing I have done to this gun other than clean it is tighten the screws in the tang a couple of times, and they always snug up perfectly in time. The only slight criticism I have of my gun is the presence of the Huglu “screaming eagle” medallion in gold in the center of the SSBP. One of these days I am going to get an engraver to file it flat and put some interesting inscription there!
Unread 08-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #16
kirbylawson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I purchased from Cabelas the estate (boxlock) 410/28-Ga set and the Plantation sideplated version.
28-Ga. both with 28" barrels and double triggers, splinter, straight stock.
Both have performed flawlessly. Trigger pulls were 5-6# from factory.
Very light guns and a pleasure to carry all day.
Lots of fun for about $2k each.
-KL
kirbylawson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kirbylawson For Your Post:
Unread 09-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Followup question. Do these Turkish S&W guns come with any cast to the stock? My friend is a lefty shooter, due to the loss of an eye as a teen, so it's an issue he has run into in the past with a factory Beretta.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard I don't know about SW guns if they had a cast off for right handed shooters built in. Most of these guns I think are fairly neutral but that is definitely an important question. Personally I think gunfit is important if you have both eyes or only one. Not certain how cost effective to buy cheaper gun and then spend extra to steam fit the stock. Maybe able to find one already bent lefty. Here is one that is Cast On for lefty made by CZ. http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-southpaw-sterling/

I thought Barettas could be shimmed to support Cast On?

I shoot lefty as well but was made too since dad recognized as a kid I had an eye dominance issue same as he did. Its all I know even though I do lots of things right handed. I have never even tried to shoot righty. I would be having same issues as you learning to go right as you are shooting left now. Stay with it and keep focusing on moving gun with your waist instead of arms and it will come to you. It can be done.

A good friend of dads was an avid hunter that lost his right eye to cancer. He learned to shoot left handed and hunted with him for years with my dad. It was only time I can remember seeing three left handed shooters all hunting at same time. He had a glass eye but still wore glasses. I did not know he even had a glass eye for years until he told us. He was a go getter and figured it out. He did not let anything slow him down. He helped my dad build a barn and he was walking around on those loose trusses 20 feet off the ground with no harness like a circus performer. Remember asking him how he learned to shoot left and he said it took awhile but he had to focus on torso muscles and foot work to keep gun moving. He also had to really mentally prepare before each shot. He said after he got it worked out he shot better as lefty than he ever did as a righty.