Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
The Myth is strong
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,928 Times in 203 Posts

Default The Myth is strong

The other day I had to drive to the southern part of the state on a family matter. About an hour out of town I passed an old gun shop that I have not
been in for years. On my return trip I stopped at the shop.
The shop has been long known for a large gun inventory. I went straight to the Gun counter and asked if they had any Vintage Doubles ? No answer. I rephrased the question, any old Double Barrels ? The older clerk lead me to a single rack in the back of the shop. There sat about a dozen crusty old Doubles.Two Remington hammer guns caught my attention. Average condition, one parts gun and a shooter with 32 " twist Barrels. I did a close inspection of the bores. The clerk said, "you know those are not safe to shoot". I asked why ?
"because those are Damascus Barrels, you can't shoot them". I did not respond.The pair was priced right but the tags had written in bold Red letters "unsafe to fire". I decided to take the pair. The clerk informed me that I would have to sign the release form. The form was a standard liability release stating that I agreed that these guns were unsafe to fire. I told the clerk I could not sign the forms.
The clerk proceeded to give me his well practiced dicertation about "blowed up" Damascus and twist Barrels. He then asked me why I would not sign? I said that it was not true. He laughed at me. I did not reveal my identity, I simply stated that my shop, has inspected, repaired, restored, and tested with Nitro Ammo, 100's and 100's Of sets of Composite Barrels, without a single failure. The clerk was speechless. I thanked him for his time and left.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!