Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #21
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

No wonder you guys are concerned about a few ounces of weight on a shotgun ! My vest has 8-10 shells in each front pocket and a partial roll of toilet paper in a side pocket. Everything else is in the truck. In 50+ or so years of upland hunting that roll has taken care of the only emergencies I've faced .
Unread 10-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #22
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

50 years? That roll of toilet paper has covered some ground!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #23
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
I normally carry a sidearm when deer hunting. But never did think of it when upland hunting. I suppose it is not a bad idea.

Yesterday a hunting companion kicked up a bedded down doe and almost got run over by it when it took off. Not that you would shoot a deer, but it goes to show that you never know what can happen out there.

My game vest has elastic sewn-in shell holders inside the front pockets. Holds 5 on each side. This gives me 10 shells that are secure. Spent shells can be replenished when trips back to the vehicle are made.
Brian, if you have dogs and said dog meets a porky you will always carry a sidearm after that, trust me on that
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #24
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

I've been hunting grouse for over 50 years in country with porkys, skunks, coyotes, and bears. I've had many encounters with each and never once had the need for a sidearm. My dogs are trained to stay away from everything except birds. Actually, turkeys cause me more grief than anything else. I'm with Phil in that I don't carry any more than I have to, not even toilet paper. Leaves serve that purpose quite well
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #25
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

I have not found any of the mentioned critters have much resistance to my 20 ga., a moose in a grumpy mood is not been a problem yet just be still and they lose interest and wander off. Had a bear come tearing up to my son and I, confused as to where our scent was coming from, he had 4 loads of 6 pointed at his head at 6 ft. and turned on his heel and ran. Season was open and had the license but we did not need a bear.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
I have not found any of the mentioned critters have much resistance to my 20 ga., a moose in a grumpy mood is not been a problem yet just be still and they lose interest and wander off. Had a bear come tearing up to my son and I, confused as to where our scent was coming from, he had 4 loads of 6 pointed at his head at 6 ft. and turned on his heel and ran. Season was open and had the license but we did not need a bear.
It's just easier at a longer distance to use my pistol with a clean kill. Gary when you almost lose a dog to a porky it might change your mind. My dog was also trained not to tangle with porkies but he was hunting with another dog that nailed a porky and as my dog was going by he got hit in the left rear hip with over 200 quills put him down for the season and came close to losing him with a migrating quill. So that's why I carry and yes I have been hunting for over fifty years too............
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #27
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
I've been hunting grouse for over 50 years in country with porkys, skunks, coyotes, and bears. I've had many encounters with each and never once had the need for a sidearm. My dogs are trained to stay away from everything except birds. Actually, turkeys cause me more grief than anything else. I'm with Phil in that I don't carry any more than I have to, not even toilet paper. Leaves serve that purpose quite well
Just to clarify, I only carry the 45 rig when I am working dogs on a hunt, and am NOT carrying a scattergun. Need my hands free for leads, transmitters whistles etc. i also wear that rig when bow hunting, when not in a potential Pope &Young situation
Unread 10-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

BTW, the .380 (or some sidearm) is with me everywhere except inside my home, or where a metal detector is involved.
Unread 10-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

[QUOTE=Gary Laudermilch;283516]I'm with Phil in that I don't carry any more than I have to, not even toilet paper. Leaves serve that purpose quite well[/QUOTE

Gary, you forget this is the prairie; grass ain't nearly as wide as leaves !
Unread 10-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Not a great method in the Desert Southwest!!!!