Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,526 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Like Kevin, I too give my bores a good sloshing of solvent and let them sit overnight muzzles down. In fact I do this with rifle and pistol. After they are cleaned and put up I go back in about three days and clean them again just to make sure all is well.
Cleaning shotguns is a piece of cake compared to my rifle cleaning regime. If it a new to me used rifle it begins with 25 passes of a Hoppes soaked brush followed by three passes with a clean patch each time . And this is repeated eight times for a total of 200 passes with a Hoppes soaked brush . After the 200 are done sometimes after the bore is dry I’ll go back with Hoppes Copper or Sweets 7.62 solvent on a nylon brush with the copper solvent I make a pass wait a minute or two and a clean patch normally I’ll make 8-10 passes with the copper stuff . And after I’m done with the copper stuff and think I’ve gotten it out as best I could I’ll then take a clean Hoppes #9 soaked patch wrapped on a bronze brush thru a couple passes then a dry patch thru a couple times . This sounds like a lot a trouble and may be more then you need but it’s done wonders on many used rifles I’ve bought that looked a skoosh rough inside and came out spotless and then (with handloads) shot some amazing groups for what they were . I did leave out that I generally use a bore guide , but have done it without and came out fine , of course that’s from the chamber end .
Unread 10-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST SHOOT IT !
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
Allen Gill
Forum Associate

Member Info

When my shotguns get real dirty, I use the home made Ed's Red (YouTube). Acetone is the ingredient that gets rid of the plastic residue. Automatic transmission fluid is a great rust preventative. A copper scouring pad wrapped around a bore brush make the scrubbing easy and quick. A couple of patches followed by an oil patch and I'm done. Shiny bores every time.
Allen Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen Gill For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

It probably isn’t the powder used by RST, but the effects of low pressure. Higher pressure loads burn propellant more completely than lower pressure loads.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #15
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 342 Posts

The excess residue is caused by not burning all of the powder.The modern hot loads get additional velocity by using powders that burn almost completely.That is why they leave the barrels cleaner looking.Another problem with modern Hoppes #9 is that they have reformulated it and it is not as strong as it used to be.As Horace would say "they took the animosity out of it."I bought a full bottle of the old stuff at an antique mall of all places.when you opened it,the odor hit you.It smells like a gun.The new stuff just ain't the same.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

I have found a product that changes the cleaning game! I own Shooting Stars Firearms and had a sales call one day. This is a local company in Youngstown Ohio and I have heard it all about magic concoctions, the sales man was lucky it was a slow day. Anyway he left a sample bottle and smiled. We were shooting 410-s about that time and was having the same trouble as this thread talks about. After 100 rounds of good 410 ammo I could hardly get a brush down the tubes. Lead, plastic, that would not come out! Thinking about the sales pitch and magic juice I read the bottle and started the project. First....the barrels had to be clean and free of any fouling. Worked at that a good hour or so.....O.K. Treat the barrels with a clean wet cloth of the clear juice making sure to give it some stokes. O.K. Now follow with a dry patch and buff the tubes dry. I then put gun aside till next shoot. So I takes the gun out to the clays range...forgot about the magic juice job and shot my rounds. At the cleaning bench I removed the barrels and had to take a 2nd look to make sure this was the gun I had just shot! The barrels only had some loose speckles of fouling that could be wiped out with one pass....dang stuff works!!! Look up Gun 21 on face book. Made for a dry lube on M-16 rifles. In the shop we sell a small bottle that last a long time for 10.00 It can be sent in regular mail as it is not flammable. Its all I use on all my gun barrels now, perfect for black powder too....(-: After the first good cleaning all is needed is a fresh wipe and buff and maybe a little work at the cones with a clean dry brush as they may have a little streaking in the 410 gun, but very minor...good to go. This is the best stuff I have found so far! SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Hallelujah! Thanks all!
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #18
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

I believe stainless steel tornado brushes should not be used in vintage barrels. The brass brushes work great
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-12-G.../dp/B00CFYAPR2

I use a gauge larger to scrub the chamber and into the forcing cones.

Leaving the cleaning solution to sit after one pass is the key, then another scrub.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 10-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #19
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

To determine bore residue composition push a clean patch through your dirty bore. Light the patch’s corner and watch it burn. Unburned powder will Fizz, soot won’t .

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #20
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,946 Times in 1,437 Posts

I am not a member of Facebook. Kenny is Gun 21 the name of the product? I googled but did not find.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote