Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Best way to carry shells in the field
Unread 10-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Default Best way to carry shells in the field

I have used various systems, and prefer the belt pouch style. Shells in the right pouch, water and accessories in the left, and downed birds in the back.
I know this could be a regional thing, living in the Desert Southwest.
What say you all?
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

The left lower pocket of my shooting vest is for live shells. This pocket will easily hold 25 shells but I only carry about 8 - 10 when I'm after grouse and woodcock. My game pocket, accessible from either side at the breast, is for my water bottles and whatever game I happen to be lucky enough to bag. The right side lower pocket of my vest is for my pistol, my Leatherman (for quill removal), my pruning pliers, and my empty shells.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Right pocket of the vest for spreader shells ,left for regular. Then the trouble starts. fire starter matches, epi-pen, knife GPS, shooting glasses case,license, left hand glove, water, couple snickers bars and all the other things from past years. I need to get a strong boy to carry the damn thing for me.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
The left lower pocket of my shooting vest is for live shells. This pocket will easily hold 25 shells but I only carry about 8 - 10 when I'm after grouse and woodcock. My game pocket, accessible from either side at the breast, is for my water bottles and whatever game I happen to be lucky enough to bag. The right side lower pocket of my vest is for my pistol, my Leatherman (for quill removal), my pruning pliers, and my empty shells.

Type of pistol to carry on a bird hunt could be an interesting discussion.
I carry a North American Arms Mini loaded with snake shot in one pocket, and a 3" BBLd Freedom Arms .22 Mag Mini in the other.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Todd:

For the woods of the Northeast, and if hunting alone, I put a few shells in my pants or vest pockets and load up a belt with extra, more for emergency signaling than for the possibility of families of birds going up around me.

Other stuff is in a canvass WW II gas mask bag that has my surname stenciled on it, slung from a strap over the shoulder: water; GPS; insect repellent; space blanket; hand-warmer; Acme Thunderer whistle; BIC lighter; license; survival matches; headlamp; map and a hiker’s compass (in case the one pinned to my shirt goes missing after being scraped off in the brush (as has happened to me twice with those nice brass Marbles compasses).

Flushes I can never assume, but I am likely to be in terrain where walking is hazardous and I may not be seen nor my voice heard for miles around.
Unread 10-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

In my upland vest or jacket, the right pocket/loops carry five #7 1/2 shot game loads, the left pocket/loops carry five # 6 shot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads or # 6 shot American heavier game loads, water bottles in the back game pouch. My waterfowl jacket holds Bismuth duck loads in both pockets, with a couple goose loads added when the season overlaps. I carry my S&W J-frame H&R .32 magnum in my front pants pocket , usually everywhere, except when at work when its in an ankle holster as my back up gun. I also make it a point, if anyone joins me on a hunt , to have them carry an extra bottle of water for the dog.
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
I carry a North American Arms Mini loaded with snake shot in one pocket, and a 3" BBLd Freedom Arms .22 Mag Mini in the other.
S&W 15-shot 9mm model 5906 for coyotes, porcupines and whatever else may pose a threat to Grace... and we have a good number of black bears where I hunt and it has been a good year for cub births. It was a fantastic year for apples and most of where I hunt is littered with wild apple trees and the fruit is literally covering the ground. Everywhere I look there’s bear scat full of apple skins and seeds and a lot of limbs and branches are busted down.

Can’t be too careful...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Q5 - San Carlos for the grouse & woodcock in no where near nothing wolfville.

Right pocket 12 #71/2 or #8shot, shells. 1911 type Sig 9mm in sewn in retainer cocked and locked+backup clip. Left pocket, 12 #7 or #6 shot, shells. vehicle keys French snaped to sewn in strap. Iphone in sewn in pocket loaded with Scout n Hunt maps.
Rear zipper pocket has spring loaded pliers with wire cutters, dog vet supplies, couple of heavy zip ties, lighter, fire starting cubes, Karo, maybe a Cliff bar. On the belt in cartridge carrier 4, 00 Buck.
Game bag 2 water bottles, empty hulls and just once in a while some birds.

Close to home a Filson Tin cloth strap vest with 10 shells, Vet supplies and water for the dog. Pheasants are easier on my ego, and I have walked out of the grouse woods with 1 shell and no where near a limit.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
Kimber 45 Ultra Compact, takes care of Porkies and anything else I may come across.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

It has never occurred to me to carry a pistol when I'm hunting.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: