Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #11
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Possibly N.C. may be one of those states that would make probate less awful, but speaking from that point I would not want guns or personal property in a trust. Chances are good that you know which guns, etc. you want to go to whom and also what you may want to sell. I’m sure you will give direction as to how or whom you want to liquidate the ones you are not giving away. When you put them in the trust you give up some of your flexibility and possibly liquidity and possibly pay a trustee for handling the liquidation. This all might go out the window if you had\have really large and valuable holdings. Just my thought.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

If you die and have a loving wife, you don't have any guns, she does. If a n'er do well son is your only survivor and sells your guns for $300 each, shame on you for dying with guns. If he is not your only survivor or heir, he shouldn't have control of the guns by himself. To prevent your heirs from selling your guns for $300 each, provide that they be sold at auction, then they will bring $350 each with about $55 paid in commission on each one and another $50 in expenses to carry them around. I like the "she owns them, I don't" option. Hopefully, she will live a few more years and figure out how to liquidate them and keep the money. In my opinion, guns are a bit like garden tools. There are few pieces of paper identifying them or valuing them, and hardly anyone knows what they are worth, if anything. I just don't see a problem with a few hundred dollars worth of hunting equipment being passed down or given to a wife. My waders are not going to be caught up in court, nor will my Carhardt bird pants, least of all not my 20 year old Filson bird boots.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #13
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I told my wife to set a match to me , then put my ashes in a box in the coffin then add two specific 22 revolvers , five specific rifles and three specific double barrels . All but two of those had been owned by my father and grandfather .
Sika, no offense, but I do have to ask. Why on Earth would you choose to take quality firearms and consign them to a coffin for arguable the rest of existence? I have many guns that mean a great deal to me. But would never be buried with them.

Just curious.
Unread 09-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,298 Times in 1,235 Posts

My only recommendation is that when I die you should all get to Georgia as fast as you can for the yard sale my wife will have.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,189 Times in 12,368 Posts

John, all I can find on you is a P.O. Box address.......

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #16
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,213 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jay View Post
My wife and I are working on our Estate plan with the lawyer and I am curious how others treat their gun collections in their estate planning. We’ll be setting up a revocable trust but not sure whether or not to put the guns in the trust or keep them out. Would like to hear what others have done. Thanks.
You should look long and hard at a "revocable" trust. My folks did the same here in NH and in the end it did nothing to protect there assets. Look into an irrevocable trust. Just do your homework.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
You should look long and hard at a "revocable" trust. My folks did the same here in NH and in the end it did nothing to protect there assets. Look into an irrevocable trust. Just do your homework.
If you are talking about protection of assets so as to make a person eligible for Medicaid be sure to talk to a good lawyer. Many people are under the impression an irrevocable trust offers this protection, it does not always do that. If you maintain the discretion to use the assets as you see fit they are counted as being available to pay for care. Since 2005 assets that one does not have any discretion over are still subject to a five year look back and that look back starts when you apply for Medicaid not when the transfer is made. The law is constantly changing in this area and changes to the benefit of the government not the individual. More and more one must be prepared to spend their assets or have insurance to pay for nursing home care.
Unread 09-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #18
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,298 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
John, all I can find on you is a P.O. Box address........

Dean, just come to Vienna and hang a left. You can't miss it.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 09-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #19
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,216 Times in 835 Posts

Having spent 15 years in the life insurance business prior to going in to the gun business, this is a topic that is very near and dear to me. First of all, it is impossible to give advice on whether or not you should use a revocable or an irrevocable trust for your guns without knowing more about your specific state law, your overall plans, and your circumstances with your guns (I.E. how large a percentage of your estate are they?, do you have family members/friends who you wish to leave them to? Etc. Etc. Etc.).

I work with clients every single day on planning for their collections. It is both a difficult and necessary conversation to have, because sadly, Not one single one of us will get out of here alive. I see lots of folks start selling off their collectibles after a health scare - usually they start selling the guns that are easiest to sell in the current market and are left with the most difficult ones to move when they pass which sets up the family for disappointment and problems.

I tell all of my friends and clients to "sell from the bottom up" when thinking about disposing of a collection while they are alive. By that, I mean, sell the lesser guns and keep the better ones- almost regardless of price realized. The money is always made in the best guns in any collection.

Another thing to consider is simply "have a plan." Leaving your wife with a gun collection she doesn't care about, or kids a gun collection they don't care about, is a problem in the making. My advice is to review your options (consign to auction, consign to a dealer, leave to heirs who want to have them) and leave your wishes clearly stated in an ethical will (not a legal document, but a family love/instructional letter). If you plan to leave your things to family without any specific instructions, again, you are asking for problems and pain for your family. Something none of us wants to create.

I could go on and on about this topic - and would be happy to do so.

Kudos to Mr. Jay for bringing up this extremely important topic.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Josh Loewensteiner For Your Post:
Unread 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,348 Times in 303 Posts

Hearing the death knell of lead here in California , the
aging collector market coupled with a foreseeable glut of vintage guns,
disappearing demand for these beautiful doubles and my own anal retentivity,
I've spent the last few years divesting myself of dozens of fine doubles from my modest cabinet.
My remaining guns can be counted on both hands.

For me, less has become more.
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post: