Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 05-11-2014, 02:18 AM   #21
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Brushing with acetone and gingerly using a heat gun or hair dryer works very well and doesn't take long. I cleaned up an LCSmith that way last year. Just brush on acetone until it won't take any more than hit it with the heat and the oil just oozes out and can be wiped off with paper towel or a rag of cotton Tshirt. Repeat until happy.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
get happy fast
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #22
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default get happy fast

If you really want to get happy fast, try M.E.K. in a closed room. You will get so happy that you'll forget why you are there! Jim Garrett
jim garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Patrick, I am a little confused about Brad stating that the marks on the receiver were "casting" marks. I was/am under the impression that Parker forged and machined their receivers. Not criticizing, just really wondering.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #24
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zachow View Post
Patrick, I am a little confused about Brad stating that the marks on the receiver were "casting" marks. I was/am under the impression that Parker forged and machined their receivers. Not criticizing, just really wondering.
You are, of course, right re the Parker production process. Perhaps I misunderstood Brad's remarks as they were made to my cell as I was walking down the street and I was focused on the good news re the lack of cracks (so far) in that old Linseed oil-covered stock. I'll ask him about the marks when he checks in after the 10 is broken down.

I do remember pictures of another hammer gun posted on this site some time back that had similar marks in the same area. Perhaps they are both just scratches and it was a coincidence...
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Beautiful Parker
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #25
Noel McCormack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Beautiful Parker

Beautiful Parker Patrick!

It looks just like the 1884 10 gauge grade 2 hammer gun SN 41762 I got last Fall. You can roll your own loads - check out the Ballistic Products web page.
I used the "Perfect Duck" reduced pressure load recipe I found on the L.C. Smith collector's page. It worked well on Canada geese.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4032.jpg (497.7 KB, 10 views)
Noel McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noel McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #26
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim garrett View Post
If you really want to get happy fast, try M.E.K. in a closed room. You will get so happy that you'll forget why you are there! Jim Garrett
Be especially wary of MORE than adequate ventilation when working with MEK - it is a devastating nephrotoxicant, meaning it is especially harmful to the kidneys. Also affects liver function adversely, as does any solvent with a very high Reed vapor pressure such as acetone. Work with these outdoors or in an open garage with cross ventilation if the weather's crappy.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Listed at $85 and sold for $42
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Listed at $85 and sold for $42

I just received the letter for this 10 (my thanks to Chuck for his fast response) and it reflects the present condition of this old hammer gun.

What was interesting was that the letter indicates that this "Quality 2" 10 was listed by Parker at $85 but was sold for only $42 to John P. Lovell and Sons in Boston, MA. The order date was October 26, 1985 and it was shipped on October 29 of the same year. How would you like to order a few at that price?

Anyway, I figured that there must have been a real drop in the economy for Parker to give such a large discount and Googled the dates of major US recessions. Sure enough, there was a very bad recession here that lasted from 1882 through 1985 which included "the panic of 1884" that put several big banks under.

I have read that Parker gave discounts to retailers, but 51% sounds a bit high.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I know of a pair of A Grade 10 gauge guns that went to a Boston dealer in the same time frame as part of a 30 gun order and both consecutively numbered A's were sold to the dealer for $50 each.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #29
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I know of a pair of A Grade 10 gauge guns that went to a Boston dealer in the same time frame as part of a 30 gun order and both consecutively numbered A's were sold to the dealer for $50 each.
Dean:

I would guess that there was quite a large mark-up on the A's price when they hit the showroom. Do you know the date of that sale?

Thank you very much for your many comments on this site, as they have really helped me in the long process of learning about Parkers.

Patrick
Unread 05-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I do not remember the exact date. I do know that the business went up in flames a short time after and many of the guns in this order went back to Parker Bros for credit but the two A's were not among those that went back.

We continue to learn more almost every day about Parkers. As long as we all keep an open mind the learning will go on for a long, long time to come.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote