Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

this storey of gunner and his gun will go down in parker history...glad i got to see pictures of this great pointer and his gun....mark my words gunner will go down in history now and in a way he deserves....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

COB, That second picture is a classic. Simply wonderful...I saved it to my computer.

I hope John D is watching...This picture would look great on our homepage. You there John ?.......
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #33
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is a beautiful gun. Everything comes together, the engraving, wood and steel to form a thing of function and beauty. It will be a pleasure to own and to shoot. Well done.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Fantastic !!
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #34
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Fantastic !!

Fantastic Dog, Fantastic Gun and Fantastic Pictures that do the gun Justice (which is pretty difficult to do). The gun just simply breathtaking. Kudos to all of the skilled craftsmen involved in the special "GG" grade. And to the very well conceived plan to put it all together.

I was skeptical that the pictures would be able to show its beauty but mark was able to pull it off once again.

Kurt
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Densmore For Your Post:
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pretty fine argument for restoration and also for doing what you want with your own stuff! You have created a family heirloom.
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Clark For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #36
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have had several PM's as to who did work on Gunner's gun and rather than go through each PM here is a list of people who did the work or supplied material.

Kip Wood at Central Michigan Gunsmithing did the stock work. he also re rustblued the barrels after he removed a small dent, reblued the trigger guard, opened the chokes and installed the twin Ivory beads and reassembeled the gun. He can be reached at www.centralmichigangunsmithing.com. Phone is 989-775-7040

Robert Strosin of RES Engraving did the engraving. His web site is www.resengraving.com Phone is 715-325-7550

Classic guns in Crete Illonis did the case colors. I don't have a web address but their phone is 708-367-1620.

CSM provided the new trigger guard, heel and toe plates and the twin Ivory beads.

I can highly reccomend Kip as he has done some stock refinishing on a couple of Parkers and has made a couple of custom rifles for me as well. Just looking at this is all the recomendation Bob Strosin needs IMHO.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #37
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

A wonderful tribute to a friend. Hope to see Gunner and his gun on the opening page one day.
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,922 Times in 4,779 Posts

Rich, thanks for sending copies of the historical information on Gunner's Gun which I had misplaced. To add to that information, my accountant's wife is a direct descendant of one of the partners of Chiswell and Nicholson, the store where the gun was purchased. They are many generation residents of Montgomery County, and their first son was named "Nicholson" after the family name. They live within four or five miles of the store, even closer than I do. The successors to the Chiswell and Nicholson store were Chiswell and Jones, or maybe it is a different business altogether. The Jones family were long time merchants in Dickerson, MD, and the Jones family continued to an old trapshooting buddy of my teen years, Lloyd Jones, owner of the International Harvester franchise in Dickerson, which flowed down from the general stores of his grandparents and great grandparents. I found more information than I will ever need by googling "chiswell nicholson dickerson maryland" and "chiswell jones dickerson maryland" It brought us way more information than my accountant or his wife were aware of concerning her family and its businesses, even though they are amateur local historians. I have located one more identical 20 gauge VH in the Parker orders in my files that also came from that store. Unfortunately, I have no hope of locating that gun even though it probably lives just a few miles from me. I shot Gunner's Gun for many years before I sent it to you and enjoyed it very much, even though the chokes were a bit aggressive. It's one of the most original little Parkers I have ever owned, considering that it showed long time field use. The gun never went more than ten miles from its original place of purchase, even after I found it at a local auction. The original owner was a resident of the town where it was bought, if my research is correct. I bought a very high condition VH 12 gauge Parker from the same estate and failed to buy an earlier VH in almost as high condition. It seems the owner used the 20 gauge for almost all of his hunting, even though he owned three Parkers. His name was "Eader" and I'm afraid what I'll get if I google his name with the name of his home town, Dickerson, MD, or the neighboring Poolesville, MD. I still pass a mailbox with the name Eader when driving to and from my gun club. The 12 gauge VH that I did not buy at the auction is an "order book" era gun which I should have lettered, just to find out if it also was purchased at the same store. I have the serial number in my records, but am reluctant to order a letter on a gun I don't own. I hope this information is of interest to you, Rich.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #39
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Bill thank you for the historical information on Gunner's gun. It's both interesting and amazing at how these guns travel from one place to another.

I'll have Gunner's gun at the Southern and your welcome to take it out for a round on the course if you wish.

I was going to take it out hunting this am but we got an ice storm and there will be little travel today, maybe tomorrow or Sunday.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,141 Posts

What a beautiful gun, and fitting tribute to an old friend!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post: