Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-17-2018, 11:01 PM   #21
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

There was an avid hunter, a Chebeague Island, Maine Selectman -- birds, big game, Africa -- who with three other guys were on their way to hunt the Gaspe Peninsula, Province of Quebec. Outside their motel their truck was stolen. Everything was taken -- guns; clothing; new Ford pickup.

The show went on, due to helpful guides and other people providing guns and whatever else was needed.

I do not know if any of the guns were insured, but it is an object lesson in the travel exposure that Randy references, an exposure that can exceed the heartbreak and monetary loss of falling on (or with) one’s gun; or driving away with it on the roof, truck bed cover or tailgate.

Last edited by Russell E. Cleary; 10-18-2018 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: removal of inordinate clause
Russell E. Cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell E. Cleary For Your Post:
Unread 10-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #22
Kenneth Jones (Kenny)
PGCA Member

Member Info

The best part of having the safe is my wife don't know what guns I have.
Kenneth V Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenneth V Jones For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,069 Times in 169 Posts

Smile

In a recent conversation with the late Jack Richardson he conveyed to me that almost all their firearm claims stemmed from hunting, shooting, and shipping accidents. Only in a rare instance was there a theft or fire claim. I started insuring with Eastern (and Jack) many years ago. 👍
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mullins For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullins View Post
In a recent conversation with the late Jack Richardson he conveyed to me that almost all their firearm claims stemmed from hunting, shooting, and shipping accidents. Only in a rare instance was there a theft or fire claim. I started insuring with Eastern (and Jack) many years ago. ��
That's what Jack told me too. I have a vault but when I'm at events or hunting or shipping guns I don't have to worry, so the price is worth it for my own piece of mind.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,069 Times in 169 Posts

Eric..."Ditto" 👍😊
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mullins For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #26
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

I am glad you guys posted this. I guess I always just worried about my gun at home so I bought a Browning safe. I never considered that a policy would protect against damage either shipping or accidentally damaging a gun. I am going to look into a policy.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #27
Kenneth Jones (Kenny)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Eastern contacted me and I'm going to leave my NRA expire after I secure a policy with them. NRA policy is up in another month.
Thanks for making me aware!
Kenneth V Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenneth V Jones For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #28
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
Eastern Insurance, in Mass. low rates cover slip and falls, and also cover firearms while travelling outside the US, NRA insurance does not and a lot of other policies are the same so check before you need it. Also covers shipping which some policies don't too.
I had an accident with a Parker and must say that my coverage by Eastern covered my repair and the loss in collectable value. There were none of the hassles that I hear about from other insurance companies; Eastern has a very professional and fair process. The repair was covered, less my deductible, and the loss in value was determined as the average of three "independent" knowledgeable estimates; one of which I arranged. I can honestly say I am happy that I decided to insure my Parker and glad I used Eastern.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #29
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

I would expect/hope that most carriers would respond in a similar fashion as Robin detailed for those types of claims. While we are on the subject of gun insurance let me make you aware of a couple of limitations that you most likely have in your policy that you may want to verify. The first being "transit". The attached verbiage is from a Travelers "Collectors" policy, not a "Dealers" policy. You will note under the highlighted area that items in transit are limited to a maximum of 25K and possibly less depending on your limits. This is not for each individual firearm, this is the total. Doesn't apply to you ? How many guns are you hauling to the Southern, values ? There may be a buyback on this limitation with carriers. The Travelers buyback max is 40K.
The second item of concern would be the exclusionary language pertaining to "property on exhibition at fair grounds, gun shows, or on the premises of any national or international exposure". How many of us have had guns for sale on a dealers table at a gun show ? I can assure you that "on exhibition at gun shows" will include being exhibited for sale. How about all the guns on display at Pheasant Fest. It's a "national exposition" so no coverage. There is no buyback with Travelers on this coverage so we can safely assume if you need this coverage their intent would be to offer you a "Dealers Policy". The industry likes to refer to this as "getting the premium for the exposure" but that's another paragraph I don't have time to address. Intent here is just to raise some awareness to some issues that you may not have addressed with your carrier/agent. BTW I am not picking on Travelers I just happened to have their policy forms available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dec Pages.pdf (222.6 KB, 18 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
I would expect/hope that most carriers would respond in a similar fashion as Robin detailed for those types of claims. While we are on the subject of gun insurance let me make you aware of a couple of limitations that you most likely have in your policy that you may want to verify. The first being "transit". The attached verbiage is from a Travelers "Collectors" policy, not a "Dealers" policy. You will note under the highlighted area that items in transit are limited to a maximum of 25K and possibly less depending on your limits. This is not for each individual firearm, this is the total. Doesn't apply to you ? How many guns are you hauling to the Southern, values ? There may be a buyback on this limitation with carriers. The Travelers buyback max is 40K.
The second item of concern would be the exclusionary language pertaining to "property on exhibition at fair grounds, gun shows, or on the premises of any national or international exposure". How many of us have had guns for sale on a dealers table at a gun show ? I can assure you that "on exhibition at gun shows" will include being exhibited for sale. How about all the guns on display at Pheasant Fest. It's a "national exposition" so no coverage. There is no buyback with Travelers on this coverage so we can safely assume if you need this coverage their intent would be to offer you a "Dealers Policy". The industry likes to refer to this as "getting the premium for the exposure" but that's another paragraph I don't have time to address. Intent here is just to raise some awareness to some issues that you may not have addressed with your carrier/agent. BTW I am not picking on Travelers I just happened to have their policy forms available.
This was a question I asked Jack before his death, as I wanted to give my Boss shotgun to a smith at the Southern to take back with him but he didn't want to as he didn't have enough transit insurance. Jack said to me"Eric, you are covered period" He said it doesn't matter where the gun (or guns) is, it's covered period. So that's why I have Eastern insurance covering my guns.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post: