Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Live bird gun?
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Live bird gun?

I have always considered the label, "live bird gun" to mean a shotgun without a safety. Is this correct? I have a 1916 4E single barrel Ithaca Flues with no safety and understood this may be referred to as a live bird gun. Is that true?
Thanks
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,244 Times in 1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Grims View Post
I have always considered the label, "live bird gun" to mean a shotgun without a safety. Is this correct? I have a 1916 4E single barrel Ithaca Flues with no safety and understood this may be referred to as a live bird gun. Is that true?
Thanks
The short answer for your gun is: no. Vintage single barrel trap (SBT) guns were generally made without a safety so there's no chance of calling for the target with the safety ON. No "do-overs" in serious Trap shooting. A shotgun capable of two shots is essential for high stakes live bird shooting. Also, live bird (pigeon) shooting rules require that two shots must be fired at/for each bird. If the bird is killed with the first shot the shooter fires a second one at the bird or into the ground. Thus a single-barrel break open shotgun won't do at the rings.

Now, what makes a vintage/safetyless side-by-side shotgun a live bird gun is another question that would take many paragraphs to detail. Personally I'm not up to it.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

Eric you can search the forum and find a wealth of information on this topic of actual live bird or pigeon guns vs guns with no safety. I recently acquired a V grade 20 gauge with 32" barrels and no safety, factory correct. It is configured as a live bird gun with a straight stock and double triggers but I doubt anyone
ordered a 20 gauge to shoot live bird events so I would not consider it a live bird gun IMO.
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

The term “live bird gun” is a misnomer used on a good number of guns made without a safety.
Even using the term “competition gun” may not be an accurate description for a safetyless gun.
Some folks just prefered their gun not have a safety for the kind of hunting or shooting they did.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

A couple years ago at the Southern a dealer a nicely redone GH with 30” barrels and straight grip,no safety. Classic live bird configuration; however, the gun was on a #1 frame and quite light. Figured it may have been for someone who did not want to be bothered with a safety.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

There are plenty of examples out there of upland bird guns (e.g., NOT designed for pigeon, trap, or duck/goose shooting) that were ordered without safeties for one reason or another. Two most recent ones that stick in my mind are a really nice 26" DH 20 gauge Parker and an ultra-rare 26" Fox CE 20 ga.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I recall a CHE 20 gauge with no safety, 30” Damascus barrels, Straight-grip stock and double triggers that was originally shipped to Canada.

Unread 10-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I hunt quail regularly with a gentleman that carries either a model 21 with a disabled safety, or a Merkel that he custom odered in the 50’s with no safety. The 21 a 28 bore, and the Merkel a .410. He carries the guns broken until the birds flush, closing the gun and shouldering in one movement.
Unread 10-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

So have any of you ever came across a gun configured as the V grade I described above, I would think that would be a little unique. What would your thoughts be on the intended use of a 20 gauge with 32" tubes and no safety ?
With an ordered LOP at 14.5" I doubt it was for a slighter built Gent or a Lady.
Also ordered with both barrels to shoot 180 pellets of #7 in a 30" inch circle at 40 yards.
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The CHE 20 that I mention above is pretty close to the V you describe Randy. I don’t know how the chokes were ordered but I can find out. I imagine they were pretty tight though because it was shipped, as I recall, to one of the prarie provinces. Whether it was used for pothole ducks or prarie grouse is anybody’s guess.