Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

deer season
Unread 09-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default deer season

with dove hunting under our belts its time to start our deer food plots...i m behind already but that aint nothing new....this year i plan on doing more small food plots instead of big ones...gona put more and differant grasses for them and hopefully get enough fertilizer on it...i have still got a coupla days of bush hogging to do then i ll be free to start the food plots....and squirl season is right around the corner i ve got several shells loaed up in the 10 ga hulls for them...i ve been fixeng roads and ditches got only a little more of this to do...been giveing the little 350 b john deere doizer a good work out..my right side steering clutch has gone bad so its harder to steer but i manage...still want to take a deer with a pumkin ball load in my 10 ga i ve got to work on this load some...hope you other fellas are planting seed for the deer....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

I'm ahead of ya there Charlie. Plots are out and the stands are hung. Plots are looking good and they are going to get real wet this weekend. Looking forward to deer season this year as I have pics of a couple of shooters and there are usually those that show up during the rut. Put out about 4 1/2 acres of clover and wheat in 5 different plots. Good luck to you !
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Dove hunting has just begun Charlie! Here in Tennessee we have a 3 segment dove season, the last one ends in December.
Unread 09-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

reggie we too have more seasons on doves like you..but usally after the first weekend of dove hunting i m so busy with other things it rare that i get a chance to dove hunt again...hope you get to hunt doves a bunch....charlie
Unread 09-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

My first weekend of dove hunting was rained out and the rain is still falling where we hunt.

So, like Charlie, I have to get the tractor to work mowing, then dragging to break up horse poop, and then seeding rye for winter.
Then a hog hunting outing at the Boars Nest with double rifles (not Parkers, but Beretta and Simson ). We will be using hog dogs to dig the boars out and bay them so we old coots and hustle over and blast them. Some fun!
Unread 09-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

I’ve got October 6-9 to plow a couple with the uhm bow before I leave for the South Pacific . And then I’ll get back 11/5 and it’ll be ML season in Virginia . Have a couple Parker’s I wanna knock over a deer or two this season and of course several rifles and revolvers . First and foremost in the Parker line is my 1911 GH 16 Damascus gun shooting the Rooskie 16 gauge version of the Lyman sabot slug . Second would have to be my 1891 EH 28” loaded with 0000 Buck .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

today i got 3 of my food plots almost ready i ve got to run over the ground with a drag to cover the wheat up hopefully get a good stand....put the fertilizer on the ground too used 13-13-13 fertilizer...suppose to get a rain saturday i will put out wheat again tommorrow on my other 3 food plots...the plots are about 5 miles from my house so will take a little longer than the ones at my house....i really enjoy working on these food plots...charlie
Unread 09-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

got the rest of my food plots planted today will go back in the morning and run a drag over them to cover up the seeds.. yesterday evening my grandson cole seen a really nice buck it was with in 150 yards of my house...i may put in a coupla more food plots we are gona use the doizer and make a new road across my sons land the old road is really washed out it is on a long hill...got several water breaks on it but still washed out...the ridge is almost flat then down a gentle slope..it should not wash tobad....my right turning brake has quit working so will finish this job and bring the jd 350 home for repairs.this jd is kinda like a high grade parker thats been abused all its life then it got into a fellows life that cares for it and wants to restore it but its gona be very expensive...thats the way my doizer has been.i rebuilt the fuel injector pump put a new seat on it a new alternatoronit just this year..will have to replace fanbelt before long and that is a big job....have to take the front hydralic pump off to replace the fan belt...they do make a belt called a link belt that you can put on it without removing the pump.. this would be my first link belt to put on anything...one thing for sure with all the wore out tractersand doizer i never run out of anything to do.....charlie
Unread 09-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

planted another food plot today after running the disk and drag over my other plots...tried something differant on this food plot i had about 3 lbs of turnip green seeds in with the wheat on one end of the small plot.if the deer dont eat the turnip s and greens i may have too...hope them deer like turnip greens better than i do....i can eat the raw turnips but just cannot get to liking greens...charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

checked some of my food plots late this evening they are all up and really looking good wheat is about 4 inches high and thick as a carpet the fertilizer is really paying off and we have had some good rains...deer track all over the fields....charlie