Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #21
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,971 Times in 1,421 Posts

I can do it. I'm thinking of doing a few a day. I just wonder if members (PGCA members only) would want to pay $100 or more for one of these small fragile tags?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

When the PGCA Research Committee was studying the tags and trying to categorize them, lo and behold, I found the work tag for one of my Parkers. Apparently, my gun was the first to be paired with a work tag. The weird thing is that the tags were spread out on a table and no one suspected that we would find anything of value to our own collections. My "tag of interest" was serial number 234,481. Maybe our historian will post a picture of that work tag.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #23
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,093 Times in 387 Posts

I realized about eight years ago that I have a gun that matches a WOT by serial number.
It is a DHE 20ga. I haven't ever ordered the WOT because I always have some reason to believe that the $200 needs to be used elsewhere and I assume the tag will always be there until I decide to order it. I bet I'm not the only one that feels that way. Heck, I could order letters on five of my other Parkers for that amount.
And why should someone with a DH 12 have to pay the same for a WOT as someone else with a AAE or an A1 Special if there were WOT's available for them?
I feel the jump in price should have started with the C grade since it was considered the first of the high grade guns and the price should scale upward by grade from there.
Sorry for going on a mini rant.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2020, 06:35 AM   #24
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
When the PGCA Research Committee was studying the tags and trying to categorize them, lo and behold, I found the work tag for one of my Parkers. Apparently, my gun was the first to be paired with a work tag. The weird thing is that the tags were spread out on a table and no one suspected that we would find anything of value to our own collections. My "tag of interest" was serial number 234,481. Maybe our historian will post a picture of that work tag.
Yes Bill I have the tag. I'll post the picture of the tag when I get your money for it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

That's the positive attitude I always expect from PGCA higher ups. Isn't there something in our "charter" about promoting the study and history of our Parkers? OH CRAP, I've asked that question before. Cancel that. I've already seen the tag. I thought some of our readers would enjoy it.
Unread 06-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #26
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
That's the positive attitude I always expect from PGCA higher ups. Isn't there something in our "charter" about promoting the study and history of our Parkers? OH CRAP, I've asked that question before. Cancel that. I've already seen the tag. I thought some of our readers would enjoy it.
Higher Up? That's news to me. Isn't starting this thread "promoting the study and history of our Parkers" what I was trying to do? Bill if I did it for you, I'd be obligated to do it for everyone else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #27
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
I realized about eight years ago that I have a gun that matches a WOT by serial number.
It is a DHE 20ga. I haven't ever ordered the WOT because I always have some reason to believe that the $200 needs to be used elsewhere and I assume the tag will always be there until I decide to order it. I bet I'm not the only one that feels that way. Heck, I could order letters on five of my other Parkers for that amount.
And why should someone with a DH 12 have to pay the same for a WOT as someone else with a AAE or an A1 Special if there were WOT's available for them?
I feel the jump in price should have started with the C grade since it was considered the first of the high grade guns and the price should scale upward by grade from there.
Sorry for going on a mini rant.
David, I understand your point of view. You understand that I don't set the rules. Why don't you contact the BOD and state your opinion. What have you got to lose? BTW, WOT's for BH's and above cost more. Trojan's up to GH's cost less.
Unread 06-19-2020, 01:44 AM   #28
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,093 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
David, I understand your point of view. You understand that I don't set the rules. Why don't you contact the BOD and state your opinion. What have you got to lose? BTW, WOT's for BH's and above cost more. Trojan's up to GH's cost less.
Chuck, I wasn’t directing my comments towards you. I have several PGCA letters that you have done for me and I appreciate you and the work that you do. Me not ordering my tag is just me being a spend thrift. Things made from steel and nice wood are my weakness and I have put myself out on a limb financially to get a few nice guns. A small paper tag just doesn’t get me that worked up. I have a DHE 2 barrel set that has original hang tags. That’s cool, but they just happened to come with the gun when I bought it about 40 years ago. I love the gun and take it on every hunt I go on but the tags just sit in the safe in an envelope.
I know the WOTs are quite rare and available for only about 1/2 of 1% of the Parkers made. I’ll break down one of these days and order it.
I looked again at the WOT info and see now that the B and higher grades do have a higher cost on the tags. I didn’t remember that from 8 years ago.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #29
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm just glad they don't have a sliding price scale for PGCA letters. I would like to know the reasoning behind charging on the sliding scale for one and not the other. There is much more work for Chuck to research and write a letter than there is for putting a work tag in an envelope. By the way, Chuck, I am very grateful to have you as our historian.