Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
Tom Wooden
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Please go to the Research Tab, the information related to the hang tags are in that section. I have also copied it below:

Parker Original Work Order Tags - A number of original Parker Bros. work order tags were found in the old Parker Bros. office building in Meriden CT by a PGCA committee. The Original Parker Bros.'s work order tags will be made available by contacting:

PGCA Research Committee

P. O. Box 126502

Harrisburg, PA 17112

PGCA members who are the actual owner of the gun to which the tag applies (if such tags exist) . A photo of the gun, making sure the serial number is visible, should accompany each request. These tags are available to PGCA members ONLY and the cost for each tag is as follows:

Trojan to GH grade - $100.00

DH to BH grade - $200.00

AH and above - $300.00

"Click here" to view a complete list of available Parker Bros. Work Order Tags.
Tom Wooden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wooden For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think Tony Galazan had blank hanging tags for sale and if I recall correctly they were originals. You may dry fire a hammerless Parker but since hammer guns have firing pins you may want to consider using snap caps.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #13
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

FWIW, I have always been told that guns with a coil mainspring, such as Parkers, do not have to worry about the springs taking a set like some leaf spring actions, i.e. British sidelocks and LC Smiths.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #14
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wooden View Post
Please go to the Research Tab, the information related to the hang tags are in that section. I have also copied it below:

Parker Original Work Order Tags - A number of original Parker Bros. work order tags were found in the old Parker Bros. office building in Meriden CT by a PGCA committee. The Original Parker Bros.'s work order tags will be made available by contacting:

PGCA Research Committee

P. O. Box 126502

Harrisburg, PA 17112

PGCA members who are the actual owner of the gun to which the tag applies (if such tags exist) . A photo of the gun, making sure the serial number is visible, should accompany each request. These tags are available to PGCA members ONLY and the cost for each tag is as follows:

Trojan to GH grade - $100.00

DH to BH grade - $200.00

AH and above - $300.00

"Click here" to view a complete list of available Parker Bros. Work Order Tags.
My guns serial number isn"t on the list but thanks anyway.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,190 Times in 12,368 Posts

In about 1960 or so when my friend and I discovered his late grandfather’s Trojan in his family’s cellar tucked in behind the chimney, and in its original canvas case the hang tags were still with it but were so oil soaked and dilapidated and completely illegible, we just rossed them in the trash.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

boy that was a great find...dean I bet that really excited you and your friend...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #17
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

The PGCA doesn't have Hang Tags, we have Work Order Tags. Totally different tags. Work order tags were made after the gun was finished production and were not shipped with the gun. They gave build specifications. Hang Tags were filled out separately and were attached to the gun when shipped

Edited

The more I think about the WOT's I think the tags were made at the office and the info from the Order Book was written on the WOT. The WOT was then taken to the factory and the gun built according to what the tag said. I doubt the Order books ever left the office building. They were constantly being used. Parts were picked, S/N established, then as each procedure was finished, entered into the stock book.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
boy that was a great find...dean I bet that really excited you and your friend...charlie

Charlie, I had that Trojan on semi-permanent loan for the next four years when my family moved to a town many miles away and I had to give it back. But during the time I had it I shot pheasants, woodcock, ducks and rabbits with it. I learned to shoot a sxs on that gun even though it was too big for me in the first year or two that I had it.

I wrote about that Trojan in Parker Pages many years ago in my story “The Last Trojan Pheasant.”

I'll start a new thread with a "reprint" of that story.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #19
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
The PGCA doesn't have Hang Tags, we have Work Order Tags. Totally different tags. Work order tags were made after the gun was finished production and were not shipped with the gun. They gave build specifications. Hang Tags were filled out separately and were attached to the gun when shipped

Edited

The more I think about the WOT's I think the tags were made at the office and the info from the Order Book was written on the WOT. The WOT was then taken to the factory and the gun built according to what the tag said. I doubt the Order books ever left the office building. They were constantly being used. Parts were picked, S/N established, then as each procedure was finished, entered into the stock book.
You would think that through the years that a few of the Parker "Direction for use hangtags" would come up for sale. After collecting Winchesters for over 40 years-I have found several original hangtags.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Chuck, is there the exact same information on both the work order tags and the book entries with no variations?