Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Watermarks
Unread 06-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Mike Breitenbach
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Watermarks

The FAQ part of this site is awesome! I was looking at the water table FAQ and had two questions. Barrel weight-how much variance is there in weight across frame size? Example, are all 0 frame 16 gauges a 3 or is there a wider range? When I look at Parkers for sale on line is looks like there is variance in weight with similar gauge, barrel length, frame size combos. Could just be variability in other components too I guess or could just be crazy. Also opposite (on the other side of the lug from where the grade and weight is stamped) what do those markings mean? Initials?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
Mike Breitenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

Mike, you’ll need to give us examples of those markings you refer to.

Re: the weight variance - wethin a frame size, gauge, barrel length, etc., there are still other variables like requested total gun weight, balance, barrel profile, etc.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
Mike Breitenbach
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, thanks for the response. The weight thing is interesting, especially from a modern manufacturing perspective. I suppose when things are not CNC’d there is a level of variability and a level of customization not financially feasible today.

I tried taking a picture of the marking I was referring to-see below. The first picture was from my barrel and the second the barrel on the FAQ site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E043E5C1-CDC4-498F-9BEF-AFCAE57F80D3.jpg (491.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1B797CE6-F9B6-414C-AD38-30545FAE6714.jpg (358.0 KB, 0 views)
Mike Breitenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

The J.G. In the oval was the mark of James Geary, barrel striker, and the other insignia stamp on the same flat is one of the stamps for which the meaning is unknown.

The other one, W.K. Is the stamp of Walter King, also a barrel man and son of Charles A. King, superintendent of the Parker Gun Works. Walter King took over as superintendent upon his father’s retirement in 1910, I believe.

The 4 with the superscript 1 is the pre-struck barrel weight. After striking (filing) the barrels to attain a desired profile and weight, several ounces (up to 10 or so in some cases) would have been removed to attain the desired weight and balance of the gun.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Breitenbach View Post
Dean, thanks for the response. The weight thing is interesting, especially from a modern manufacturing perspective. I suppose when things are not CNC’d there is a level of variability and a level of customization not financially feasible today.

I tried taking a picture of the marking I was referring to-see below. The first picture was from my barrel and the second the barrel on the FAQ site.
I read somewhere in a article that labor cost and inflation after ww2 pretty much killed American made sxs's . The only double maker I am aware of that is still around and offers as many options as Parkers did would probably be Westley Richards , they make frame sizes from 410 to 4 gauge/bore . Of course you would probably be spending a minimum of 70k . So it makes these older guns a pretty good bargain .

I think something people dont consider when they scoff at the cost of a vintage double .Lets say you bought a $5000 Parkers you could not have one custom made today the same quality or with as many options for that price .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

CSMC makes side-by-sides with a variety of options and frames proportioned to the gauge at several price points from the RBL --

RBL-20, RBL-28, RBL-410 right 02.jpg

on up to Tony's pinless sidelock --

CSMC Full Sidelock SxS.jpg

All made here in the U.S. of A.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

I saw a 4 bore in H&H's factory about 8 years ago. The Plant manager said it had $100,000 worth of engraving. I think if you want it, and have deep enough pockets, they will build anything you want. Also saw a SxSxS 20 bore. Handled it. Surprisingly well balanced
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #8
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
CSMC makes side-by-sides with a variety of options and frames proportioned to the gauge at several price points from the RBL --

Attachment 85148

on up to Tony's pinless sidelock --

Attachment 85147

All made here in the U.S. of A.
Usually what they mean though when they say built to your specifications is if your specifications fit their manufacturing capabilities .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote