Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Lightweight Traditional Shooting Attire
Unread 04-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Lightweight Traditional Shooting Attire

Due to the expected availability of time, I‘ve returned to my quest for the perfect shooting attire for our double gun shoots. I would love to dress in a more traditional style at events, perhaps not full Vintager, but I generally run into the same issue, heat. British shooting clothing is stylish and outstanding for...Britain. I can imagine the comforting warmth of wool tweed on a damp Scottish moor. Not so much on a humid spring day in North Carolina, or a hot June day in Pennsylvania. I finally found the perfect pants, for me, Eddie Bauer nylon pants in loden. Shoes, a comfortable but stylish walking shoe. I’m attempting to find a high quality, ultra lightweight cotton shirt in tattersall pattern. Hat? I’ve decided to go without one. With my Italian-American face, I look silly in a traditional English shooting cap.

Most importantly, I’m searching for the perfect, traditionally styled lightweight shooting vest. Wool? Not a chance. I barely tolerate wool on a cold winter day. Does anyone know of an traditional, English-style shooting vest made in anything other than wool? I would bet if someone had one at a reasonable price, they could sell a lot to double gun shooters.

Here’s to meeting again soon!
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

If you hadn't decided upon the Eddie Bauer nylon pants in loden I would have suggested a kilt. I'm told a kilt, no mater the material, can be quite comfortable due to its primary function of ventilation and ease of well, ahem... relieving ones self by a nearby shrub, shall we say... and a nice oxford shirt, open at the collar and buttoned at the cuff.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I've not ordered anything, but I have seen and felt what comes from here and for the price it is very good. I lived in England 45 years ago and found their jackets a bit small in the shoulders for size. So I'm not sure about their sizes to ours. It would be worth asking. https://us-rydale.glopalstore.com/pages/mens
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

I mean no offense but are you shooting an English or an American shotgun? I would think if you're shooting a Parker, Fox, Smith etc. a little more American style clothing would be in order. Not being a member, only a guest, of this group I think I'll just slink into the background and not any more.
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Agree don’t dress completely British without a British gun. However Barbour makes a nice light cotton vest in their Sporting line. Otherwise Khaki pants, light button down collar shirt check pattern, or if warm Polo shirt. Cool add a sweater. Shoes polished, if boots, clean. Parker hat.

Been a Barbour fan many years, was buying from Outdoor & Country mail to the US, Barbour stopped direct mail sales to US. Now Orvis is the best bet. However Barbour makes many shooting vest & Orvis stocks few.

Good tip is look on ebay for used Barbour shooting vest, they usualy list as Waistcoats or Gillets, Mail from the UK is fast and inexpensive ebay has many listed. Outdoor and Country has other shooting vest that will ship to the US. Nice people to deal with & fast shipping . On line catalog works well.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sometimes I shoot a British gun, and more often an American gun, at times an Italian gun. I appreciate different makes and makers, though I obviously really like Parkers. To your point, I sure don’t plan to go full Vintager British, though I think those guy look pretty snazzy. I’m mostly trying to find a light, comfortable vest that doesn’t look like my Shoot The Moon trap vest. Thanks for the advice so far. An no, no one wants to see me in a kilt. Haha.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Q. "What's worn under your kilt?"

A. "Nothing. Everything is in working order"
Unread 04-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

If shooting in a vintage shoot in America, why look like a Brit? Not hard to reproduce c. 1900 American attire. Most competitors wore a shooting sweater in the winter. Destry had some "shawl" shooting sweaters made.

Tom Marshall, winner of the 1897 and 1899 GAHs

and a shooting coat otherwise; maybe lightweight linen in hot weather. George Work, 1894

April 27, 1895 Sporting Life
https://digital.la84.org/digital/col...id/47962/rec/1

Nicely dressed gentlemen c. 1915

I've seen very few illustrations or images of sleeveless shooting vests. Capt. A.W. Money and his Parker

1918 GAH
https://books.google.com/books?id=U_...=RA1-PA278&lpg

The Brits didn't wear kilts in trapshooting competitions; the 1901 Anglo-American match British team. And this was July

The 1908 Olympic British Gold Medal team

Not trying to be jingoistic, but why in the world would any of us want to look like someone we are/were not??

A random dork in a boater Boaters were very popular in the teens and 20s and make a nice hot weather accessory; esp. a classic straw "Skimmer" with a black and red band for an Italian
https://www.villagehatshop.com/hats/Italian-Boater

Last edited by Drew Hause; 04-14-2020 at 12:16 PM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 04-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

In my youth I had an opportunity to wear a kilt to a formal Scottish event and I can tell you it was the most comfortable garment I have ever worn. That being said, I wouldn't want to wear one through the briers, snags, and slash I usually find myself in while carrying a gun.

I have a pair of well worn Filson pants made from their "Safari" cloth (tightly woven poplin) and they are cool and comfortable regardless of the temperature and they turned all but the toughest of thorns. Unfortunately, as is the case with most of the Filson models I like, they are no longer produced.

To answer your question, a pair of casual poplin pants, button down window pane shirt, a lightweight waist coat, and a straw fedora should cover most situations.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

Examples of c. 1900 Monte Carlo attire here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24800261
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!