Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 03-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mazza View Post
32 bore ? Dumb question - but isn't 25 bore closer to 577
You're right, I use 24 gauge brass shotshells to make cases for my Snider.

Some days my old thinker doesn't work as well as it should. Old age is a high price to pay for maturity.
Unread 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

I know the feeling !

That's a nice gun. I really need a Jones underlever for my collection. (Even the wife thinks they're cool!)
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
If you do choose to load smokeless in your cartridges, please do NOT fill empty case space with Dacron. Use cotton! Otherwise, you risk ringing a chamber/barrel. I know this from sad experience. A noted writer uses Dacron, but it is only a matter of time before a ring appears for him. Cotton is not expensive, naturally combustible and is totally safe. Especially for the number of rounds you may shoot in this .577.
Thanks for the warning. I do use Dacron and have for years in many older larger caliber rifles including my Cogswell & Harrison 577 which I have fired many hundreds of rounds through. The well known writer you speak of is probably the same one I call a friend and who emphatically warns against using foam wads as they will cause chamber ringing. Wherein is the truth of the matter? I certainly don't know. Cotton may work well but I suspect it would be much the same as Dacron and would be expelled from the muzzle as Dacron is pretty much unchanged rather than consumed.

Please don't feel I'm being critical, I do appreciate your concern, I just wish there was some definitive answer to what really does cause chamber ringing.

Best regards,

D. Jones aka Elk Hunter
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have heard that kapok is a good filler. (It's a natural fiber, commonly used in pillows, etc.) However, I don't know where one can buy it, except on-line. But, we can all get cotton a whole lot easier ! If you did order a pillow full of kapok on-line, it'll probably last a lifetime...
Unread 03-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

This filler topic is of interest. I use cherrios in my shotgun loads as filler in 3/4 oz loads so the crimp won't buckle below the rim of the case but I doubt that would work in a rifle. I have a Ruger #1 450/400 NE 3 inch I want to load with 30gr of Trail Boss and a Hornady XTP pistol bullet. From the info I have I should get 1600-1800-fps which will make for a good 100 yard deer set up. My question is will I need a filler such as cotton or daycron to keep the powder charge compact so I will get the full ignition?
Unread 03-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Let us consider empirical evidence:

Dacron has been known to ring chambers.
Foam/plastic wads have been known to ring chambers.
Pass a torch over either and you get plastic goo. Not carbon dust.

Cotton (or kapok) has never ringed a chamber.

How much is your classic barrel worth to you?
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Cream of wheat has also been used ass a filler, but that is very dense & I would not recommend it. (They say it smells good too...)

COB, I have actually heard people comment that Trail Boss tends to result in fairly low pressures and velocity. In fact, sometimes a full case (compressed load) of that powder doesn't give the velocity that some people seek. These are all general statements, and of course, you must follow the manuals - but my point is that you may end up with a case that has an adequate volume of powder, and thus may not need a filler.
Unread 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Unfortunately in this instance there isn't any real hard data and no manual to go by. The only published load data is for 400 gr bullets. I don't need a 400gr soft point at 2300FPS to kill a deer. I know using a gun suitable for Elephant on a deer is a little strange but a reduced load should work quite well. I have worked up a load of 72gr of H4895 and a 300gr Hornady for about 2200FPS. The XTP pistol bullets I use in my muzzleloader work very well on deer I figured they should work well in this application also. 30 gr of trail Boss isn't much powder for such a big case and my concern is I won't get even ignition without using something to hold the powder in place.
Unread 03-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #19
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I also have a 450x400x3" but it is a double rifle. Small amounts of powder in such large cases require some thing over the top. If I remember correctly they don't recommend using any type of wad or filler with trail boss. I also remember reading that trail boss recommends a minimum of 70% case capacity. I know it is light and fluffy and about half the density of most rifle powders. I would probable contact the manufactures for advice.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote