Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #21
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie Do not have a wife to answer to but when I did she always say do what you need to do.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #22
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Needs and wants are two different things. You just have to make your mind up with that particular gun if its an investment/collector type gun or does it need be a more effective shooter in the arsenal. Obviously your gun ..... enough said.

My dad picked up a 12 gauge VH that had a pinned stock and someone a long time ago cut the barrels back from 28 to 26 to open the chokes, or someone overloaded blew chokes out and cutting back was the cure. Its essentially a cylinder and cylinder gun that is really now not so much a collectors or investment gun but a shooter. You almost have to intentionally try to miss, to miss with this gun on going away targets that are 30 yards and in. He got it for field trials. An old man and an old gun making the most of it.

Btw my dad would never modify a gun in original condition that he owned, but he sure is enjoying his new to him Parker guilt free since he did not modify it. I think he got it for about 8 bills.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 06-11-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #23
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Todd....unfortunately your father's gun is not unusual. Many fine Parkers had barrels cut or chokes relieved over the years. There are many of them out there and they are not hard to find. That is one reason that I am so against messing with the original chokes on a Parker. One can easily find a gun that has been modified and so there is no reason to molest original Parker chokes, in my opinion. The process can't be reversed and so another gun with carefully bored original chokes is now added to the population of molested guns......an unfortunate situation.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #24
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree with you Tom and understand they aren't making anymore old Parker's. But its hard to tell someone how to play with their toys and we don't know full story about Mr. Rainey's gun and or his needs or wants. We may not all agree but I respect his path of choice whatever he chooses. Not to get off topic on chokes or modifying a gun but there was similar conversation about someone now engraving a badge that for most part had been left blank for most of guns life, would that impact value or function? Anyway modifying a gun is sort of like trying to legislate opinions on morality, who is to judge, cast the first stone.

Yep there are some pretty good deals out there on some modified shooter Parkers if you have a mind for that type of gun and certain you can find one, but that gun may not see the light of day for some people but for others it would be a joy. There are lots of shades of gun metal grey.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #25
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Does it really matter very much if the gun is an average/worn condition Trojan, V or G, provided the work of relieving the chokes is done right? It seems to me there are lot of "shooters" out there where the value of the gun would not be changed very much if at all.
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #26
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I truly believe it does matter, even with a worn Trojan. The guns are no longer made and therefore taking another gun out of the remaining and shrinking pool of unmolested guns is a big mistake, in my opinion. I do believe that we are only caretakers. It sounds like a cliché, but it’s true. Much damage and bastardization has been done to many Parkers over the years. Our generation knows better, for the most part, and we should not contribute to the carnage.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #27
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm not so sure I buy the argument against opening chokes saying "buy a gun with open chokes, their are plenty out there"

they're out there, but it will definitely make your search more difficult. And I guess it depends on how you define "plenty"
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #28
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Also, if you have a gun that has no basis for a letter, or a gun with a letter that doesn't mention chokes, then who's to say the gun you don't want to open the chokes on hasn't already had it done?
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #29
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
I truly believe it does matter, even with a worn Trojan. The guns are no longer made and therefore taking another gun out of the remaining and shrinking pool of unmolested guns is a big mistake, in my opinion. I do believe that we are only caretakers. It sounds like a cliché, but it’s true. Much damage and bastardization has been done to many Parkers over the years. Our generation knows better, for the most part, and we should not contribute to the carnage.
There is a difference between monetary value and having an appreciation for antiquity. My thought was opening the chokes on lower grade worn shooters would not affect the former very much if at all since they are not of interest to collectors.
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #30
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Potter View Post
Also, if you have a gun that has no basis for a letter, or a gun with a letter that doesn't mention chokes, then who's to say the gun you don't want to open the chokes on hasn't already had it done?
I don't think factory letters are always correct when it comes to chokes. I believe changes in production happened after entries in the books were made. Scott Kittredge had a VH 20ga and the letter on the gun said cyl and full if I remember correctly. The gun shot full and full.