Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have had several pierced primers with RST 10 G shells, all Cheddites. Never with Win 209s

However pierced is something I see in single shot rifles. I shoot a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 reproduction. The hammer strike is externaly adjustable, switch barrel with 3 different calibers and I run two with large pistol primers one with large rifle primers. Complicated.

Thing I have learned is there is a relationship between pressure, hammer strike, firing pin shape, protrusion and the primer itself. Any one going too far they will pierce. CPA added a gas escape hole in the breech block, original Stevens did not have them, to route escaping gas. Same idea as the Parker photo Dean posted.

If they are piercing something should be changed, I would have a good Parker man check all the gun possable causes, since Win 209 primers don’t have a soft reputation. Escaping gas through the pin hole can cause a lot of problems.

Having said all that manufacturers will always look for ways to cheapen products primers no exception.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys with Browning O/U's complain Cheddites will pierce and cause burnt firing pins and thay have to replace them. Boy, that would have to be a lot of gas to blow off a piece of stock. Maybe the stock had a small crack you hadn't noticed.
Unread 05-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #13
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

There are several things that can occur during the manufacture of a primer that could lead to pierced primers. The most likely culprit, if it is in fact a fault of the primers, would be an improper temper of the strip stock used to produce primer cups. I can't imagine Olin would reduce the thickness of their strip stock to save fractions of pennies.

Many things can go wrong if the manufacture of primer components are not closely controlled with an eye on consistency.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Twoatlow8
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have had problems with Cheddites piercing on guns that hit the firing g pin on an angle.
On a gun like my 1100 or Model 12 that hit straight on, no problems.
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #15
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Effect gas blowing back through the hole depends a lot on the fit, hole to pin. Standard modification old Single Shot rifles is to bush the pin hole and fit up a new pin close. Effect of a blown primer with smokeless powder in Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks, other falling block actions with large firing pins and loose fit in the block can be dramatic.

Shotguns operating at lower pressure probably less, but loose fits lots of gas can cause real problems.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #16
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just bought a Grade 3 1873 Remington hammer lifter and shot a round of SC's. Both barrels pierced the Cheddite primers every time. This is a first. So I load up a 100 Federal papers with Federal primers. Bada boom, bada bing, it solved everything. No pierced primers. Let's see, I have 8000 Cheddites, 400 Federals, and 400 Winchester primers. Once the Cheddites are used up I may go to just Winchester or Federal primers. There's about a $25/5000 difference in price. Or just buy 1K of the Federals.
Unread 07-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Once the Cheddites are used up I may go to just Winchester or Federal primers. There's about a $25/5000 difference in price. Or just buy 1K of the Federals.
If I were you, I'd think twice about using up those Cheddites. Why? Because you're looking at thousands of possibly pierced primers, crud blown back into your action and a potentially cracked stock head from the pressure vent.

But it's your gun. Your money. And your Cheddites.
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

I thought the same thing about blow back in a hammer gun piercing primers until someone pointed out to me the blow back can't get to the head of a stock on a hammer gun to crack it.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

True Jerry, but the blowback flash can travel back through the plunger channels toward the shooter's face.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #20
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Message deleted.
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote