Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #61
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Brown View Post
Charlie, he's in business. I used the email address you posted and he replied. What do you think that stuff would be like in 5s and 6s (if they make them that size) for waterfowl over decoys?
Hal told me 7s for Canada Geese. Also for turkeys if you want a larger size. I guess a body shot with 7s would be like the old timers shooting 2s at the body.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #62
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hal Abbott address is hganc@aol.com, charlie. I just ordered three pounds of 5s to try them out. He ships to Canada.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #63
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

If, tungsten weighs twice as much as lead do you have to use half as much?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 05-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #64
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
If, tungsten weighs twice as much as lead do you have to use half as much?
Yes. Half as much volume but not weight. The 1 1/4 ounce number 9s that I killed turkeys with in 12 gauge is a very small amount of shot. That's why in the 20 gauge with one ounce there is the top of a 28 gauge wad inside the 20 gauge wad and also a filler wad.

Because the shot is so much smaller, it is not affected by the drag of the wind and retains so much more energy down range. Being small, it meets less resistance once it enters the game, thus having shot that will penetrate all the way through the animal.
Unread 05-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #65
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jerry I have a question for you and maybe you accounted for and mentioned it and I missed it somewhere.

Since you have rigged up your own loads do you think the diameter of the shot in shell with your double wad of say 20 & 28 gauge reduces the load diameter so its about the same or smaller than the choke constriction. I am guessing the double wad maybe does this plus also gives enough cushion because that tungsten is not going to give very much when pressed thru a forcing cones and a barrel choke.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #66
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Jerry I have a question for you and maybe you accounted for and mentioned it and I missed it somewhere.

Since you have rigged up your own loads do you think the diameter of the shot in shell with your double wad of say 20 & 28 gauge reduces the load diameter so its about the same or smaller than the choke constriction. I am guessing the double wad maybe does this plus also gives enough cushion because that tungsten is not going to give very much when pressed thru a forcing cones and a barrel choke.
First, I didn't rig up my own load. These were developed and tested for/by Hal, who also provided the pressure. All of the loads he has provided to me are low pressure.

As far as constriction, this is no different than shooting steel in a very thick wad. It still gets compressed and since not a single shot gets deformed, the patterns are great. Look at the picture I provided of the one ounce 20 gauge through a standard full choke at 40 yards. That pattern would kill every time at 40, and probably 50 yards. There were 24 hits in just the head and neck areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #67
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,228 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
………. Because the shot is so much smaller, it is not affected by the drag of the wind and retains so much more energy down range. Being small, it meets less resistance once it enters the game, thus having shot that will penetrate all the way through the animal.
Jerry, much of what's been passed here is in subjective terms (less wind drag, more energy, less resistance, complete penetration through the animal?).

It would be good to see the inventor's tech data that compares velocity and energy bleedoff rates for tungsten vs. lead with the same diameter pellets at 10 yards or so increments, something like 20-30-40-50-60 yards. Also to see the measured penetration at those yardages in an accepted medium like pine wood or similar. Data for lead pellets is available from references. Downrange pattern density is one parameter, but measured terminal velocity, energy and penetration are other important ones for the inventor's different pellet sizes and especially so when recommending something like TSS 9's for turkeys at longish ranges.

"The Tungsten 9s have the same penetration at 70 yards as lead 9s do at 15 yards" ….. I'd particularly like to see the tech data on that.

frank

Last edited by Frank Srebro; 05-30-2018 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Added some comments
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #68
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
First, I didn't rig up my own load. These were developed and tested for/by Hal, who also provided the pressure. All of the loads he has provided to me are low pressure.

As far as constriction, this is no different than shooting steel in a very thick wad. It still gets compressed and since not a single shot gets deformed, the patterns are great. Look at the picture I provided of the one ounce 20 gauge through a standard full choke at 40 yards. That pattern would kill every time at 40, and probably 50 yards. There were 24 hits in just the head and neck areas.
I appreciate that clarification and understood you were following a formula. Also understood your pattern boards that you shared which backs up everything I have seen and read about tungsten and performance qualities.

Did not realize it was also a lower pressure load. Thanks for followup.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #69
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Jerry, much of what's been passed here is in subjective terms (less wind drag, more energy, less resistance, complete penetration through the animal?).

It would be good to see the inventor's tech data that compares velocity and energy bleedoff rates for tungsten vs. lead with the same diameter pellets at 10 yards or so increments, something like 20-30-40-50-60 yards. Also actual measured penetration at those yardages in an accepted medium like pine wood or similar. Data for lead pellets is available from references. Downrange pattern density is one parameter, but measured terminal velocity, energy and penetration are other important ones for the inventor's different pellet sizes and especially so when recommending something like TSS 9's for turkeys at longish ranges.

"The Tungsten 9s have the same penetration at 70 yards as lead 9s do at 15 yards" ….. I'd particularly like to see the tech data on that.

frank
Frank,

I posted it earlier in the thread.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/...sities.267784/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #70
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,228 Times in 1,200 Posts

Thank you Jerry, I'll have to look at this in detail once I get more time after the Northeast SxS. I'm not familiar with that gel as a penetration test medium for shotgun pellets. Personally I like 3/8" thick pine wood boards as used by Capt Askins who wanted to see complete 3/8” penetration to help cipher the max reliable kill distance for that size pellet (along with number of hits at that distance). IME, it’s always good to objectively test newly-developed pellet materials against "tried and true” lead loads of the past.

frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote