Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #41
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i have had gobblers to run away from a call ...only way for me to get at ashot at them was to ambush them....on gobblers relunkunt to come in that last few yards to be with in shooting range i learned to switch calls and only use really low calling.... i carry 6 calls with me sometimes switching calls is the majic thing to do just do not hit a sour note....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #42
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

been thinking about this number 9 shot all day cannot get it out of my mind gona have to try this soon...in a 10 ga magnum or the 8 ga this should be some kind of makic on a turkey....charlie
Unread 04-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #43
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
been thinking about this number 9 shot all day cannot get it out of my mind gona have to try this soon...in a 10 ga magnum or the 8 ga this should be some kind of makic on a turkey....charlie
Charlie,

I fired on a reluctant gobbler Saturday morning after two hours of steady conversation. The penetration of the 9s was amazing; trouble was it was into a metal cattle gate at forty yards away! The bird flew away and I wasted a second shot without effect about seventy yards away.

I forgot two things. I kept saying aim to the left since the 12 VH shoots to the right at long distance; that was until I shot and I aimed straight at his head. The second thing is I could see the turkey, but did not account for the gate being in the way. I'm jinxed this year. Two misses so far.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #44
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

sorry about missing that turkey...never tried shooting thru a metal gate before...ha you may have to get yourself a rabbit foot....this should help....it seems some sesons it is just hard to get that bird....anyway its fun chasing those birds.....charlie
Unread 04-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #45
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

found some tungstun shot shells last night they were priced atthirty something dollars a box...i did not know if these were the same shells that you you have jerry...the only info they give on them were that they were better than still shot...so i have not bought any yet...can you give me some place to order the shot or the ready made shells....been raining hard here this morning and evening....charlie
Unread 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #46
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Not the same thing Charlie, I don't believe anybody is selling shells loaded with the Super Shot as of yet.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #47
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,566 Times in 379 Posts

Federal is selling Turkey loads with TSS shot ,but I have not been able to locate any in 12ga in any local stores. One store has 20ga & 410 ! and only in #7.
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #48
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L. Martin View Post
Federal is selling Turkey loads with TSS shot ,but I have not been able to locate any in 12ga in any local stores. One store has 20ga & 410 ! and only in #7.
I think this is correct. Jerry and Mike are hand loading some tungsten with the help of fella that seems to have a reload formula down. The only big company marketing the TSS is Federal that I know of. They have actually had some secret testers using it for years in the field. Have seen some you tube videos of patterns of TSS 8 and 9 shot out to some 70 yard shots. Density rating of tungsten is 18, lead 12 and I think steel shot is 8.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #49
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
found some tungstun shot shells last night they were priced atthirty something dollars a box...i did not know if these were the same shells that you you have jerry...the only info they give on them were that they were better than still shot...so i have not bought any yet...can you give me some place to order the shot or the ready made shells....been raining hard here this morning and evening....charlie
Charlie,

What you found is the new Hevi-shot they call Hevi-X I believe. It is a tungsten alloy, and not pure tungsten like TSS. Below is where you order the shot, from a guy named Hal. He will provide the load data. The only problem is other than powder and primers, the wads he uses are really not common so that will be an added expense. I wish he had used regular stuff we all use but the wads are available from Ballistic Products. So I has to order 250 12 gauge and 250 20 gauge wads to load a dozen shells.

https://www.tungstensupershots.com/
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #50
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am really just learning about tungsten as shot alternative (Thanks Jerry), even though for many years knew military used tungsten in certain rounds, but that is for a single projectile. Anyway I am not wanting to sound like some expert since clearly not but my understanding based on work of others is that the Hevi-X was designed to be for waterfowl use and is suppose to replace steel but only be comparable to lead shot at about a density of 12.

The name of the game is density, but guessing the performance Jerry is seeking with the smaller shot he is using suggests a density of about 18. I think Hevi-shot now a trademark did try and make a turkey load with some tungsten that was suppose to have a density of 13. Here is link to shotgun world discussion. Personally I don't like to attach links to much to other forums or discussions, but this discussion may prove helpful, assuming information they provided is correct.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=459367

Btw; Jerry thank you for your work on this tungsten notion. Now I'm having a shot inferiority complex, just like cooleritus virus that I got when Yeti came out. I am now calling it tungstenitus and both can result to the dreaded procedure of a required cashectomy. Like some surgeries alot of them are unnecessary.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote