Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Anyone hunt ducks with a 10 gauge regularly?
Unread 03-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Anyone hunt ducks with a 10 gauge regularly?

I have my eye on a 10ga damascus gun that I am thinking of using for turkey hunting and possibly ducks. I was just curious if anyone uses a 10 bore regularly to hunt ducks or if it'll be too much like a canon to shoot effectively.
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
John Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,867 Times in 4,754 Posts

I shot nothing but a ten gauge for ducks and geese for about 15 years. Finally, it got too much to carry in the marshes and I sold my ten AYA.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

I have used a 10 gauge for ducks with regularity. I have three nice 10 gauge waterfowl guns -- an Ithaca (New Ithaca) Hammer gun, an Ithaca 3.5 inch NID, and a very nice Parker GH. The hammer gun has more open chokes and works best for me (hunting over decoys). The other two are choked very tightly, but really drop birds when I'm on (ok, not often). The bigger issue for me is getting the right shells. My wife likes to kid me that the price per ounce of duck is far higher than caviar when she factors the price of guns, decoys, and shells, etc. Sheesh, it seems like a bargain to me.

I should be getting my Grade 3 top lever Parker back this year from Bachelders (once things settle down there). It also has open chokes and will get a crack at doves with some light loads I'll be cooking up.

Heck yea, get that 10 and have attum!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I have used a 10 gauge for ducks with regularity. I have three nice 10 gauge waterfowl guns -- an Ithaca (New Ithaca) Hammer gun, an Ithaca 3.5 inch NID, and a very nice Parker GH. The hammer gun has more open chokes and works best for me (hunting over decoys). The other two are choked very tightly, but really drop birds when I'm on (ok, not often). The bigger issue for me is getting the right shells. My wife likes to kid me that the price per ounce of duck is far higher than caviar when she factors the price of guns, decoys, and shells, etc. Sheesh, it seems like a bargain to me.

I should be getting my Grade 3 top lever Parker back this year from Bachelders (once things settle down there). It also has open chokes and will get a crack at doves with some light loads I'll be cooking up.

Heck yea, get that 10 and have attum!
I noticed RST only makes one type of bismuth shell in 10 ga is that what you typically used? This is a damascus gun so I would assume I need to shoot RST only in it.
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
John Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

I mostly use RST shells, and I have a stash of 1 1/8 oz (which I like better) as well as their 1 1/4. I also have some Bismuth shot in size 4 and load some light versions when I have time.

I've had no problems with the RSTs in any of my Damascus barreled guns (which have decent wall thickness, I might add).
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

a short ten with weight of around 9 lbs to 9 3/4 makes fo a very good handling turkey or duck gun...buy the rst shells or better yet make your own....do not worry about the damascus barrels if in good shape will do fine...i have shot them for 60 years and most of the shells were factory heavy loads....you will enjoy the ten ga .....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

i hunt with a short ten quite often, i have hammer and hamerless (not really- the hammers are just on the inside) - i do not find them too heavy to hunt waterfowl with - although i would not drag one through my woodcock covers

cannon or not depends on how you load it- 1 1/8 for clays or 1 1/4 for birds seems to be light on the recoil -

i reload for them with lead for clays and non tox for hunting- go to the shotshell reloading forum - and download the spread sheet
Unread 03-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

yes, ducks, geese, crow and turkey. 1 1/8th crow, 1 1/4 oz bismuth for duck and geese to 1 1/2 oz lead for turkey, Ithaca NID 10 with ,040 choke at 9 lbs even and a 2 frame EH Parker with ,025 choke at 8 3/4 lbs
scott
Unread 03-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,429 Times in 1,647 Posts

I shoot my 10's on ducks frequently. They are perfectly suited for duck hunting in my opinion, even my beloved Super Foxes are not better than the short 10. Kind of like a 0 frame 16ga is the perfect upland gun never really improved upon. I handload 1 1/4oz of bismuth 5's. If you shoot a short 10 it pays to reload. I own Parkers, Elsies and one new to me Ithaca super ten.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Never killed a duck in my life , but this season I’m hoping to start . And it’ll be with one of several Parker 2 7/8” 10’s . Already have Bismuth #1’s , #2’s and #4’s to load for ducks and or geese .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote