Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Avoiding Theft
Unread 12-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Default Avoiding Theft

Thought I would pass this on. Best, Mike
A UPS DRIVER’S SUGGESTIONS FOR SHIPPING FIREARMS

March 1st, 2013 | By Rachel Alexander
by A. Nony Mouse

As a gun owner and an 11-year UPS driver, I get a lot of questions from people regarding the safest way to ship and insure firearms through UPS. Theft of firearms and other items by UPS employees, ‘though rare, unfortunately does occur, but there are a lot of surprisingly simple and inexpensive ways to virtually guarantee that you won’t be a victim. Please pass this information along to anyone who may benefit from it.

There are two things that cause thefts from UPS – pilfering and over-labeling. Pilferers are mostly thieves of opportunity. Handguns, jewelry, cameras, and prescription narcotics are their favorite targets because they are easily identifiable and can quickly be shoved into a pocket or inside of a shirt, due to the SMALL SIZE of the packages they come in.

The red and black “adult signature required” (ASR) labels that are legally required to be placed on these packages are often a dead giveaway. These labels are also called “steal-me sticker,” because thieves look for them. Most UPS facilities are fenced, and employees’ belongings are subject to searched exiting, so the size of the item is critical.

The BEST way to protect your handgun is to simply put it in a big box. One gunsmith on my route “disguises” his handguns by putting them in used Amway boxes! This works VERY well. Look at the box you are shipping your handgun in. If you can stick it inside your pants or under your shirt easily, it is vulnerable. As far as the ASR labels, you are required by law to have them on firearms shipments. What many customers don’t know, however, is that they can get a more discreet ASR label that is incorporated into the UPS tracking label. These are better because the words “adult signature required” are very small and unnoticeable. More importantly, this barcode will electronically “prompt” the driver at the other end to get a signature. In case he accidently tries to “release” the package on the customer’s porch without getting a signature. He will be unable to do so because the DIAD (that electronic clipboard that you sign) will read the barcode and will force him to get a signature in order to complete the delivery. You can order these special tracking labels through your Customer Service rep, or you can print them yourself with the UPS shipping software.

Another more sophisticated method of theft is “over-labeling.” This involves several conspirators who plan ahead and may get jobs at UPS for that very purpose. What they do is to print up a bunch of fake labels, with generic barcodes and phony return addresses, that are all addressed to a storage unit or apartment that they have rented in advance. One or more employees who are sorting and processing these packages will then slap the phony label over the authentic one, and the package will then proceed along its merry way to the “destination,” where an unsuspecting driver will deliver it to another accomplice who signs for it using a fake name. This will go on for a week or so until the thieves move on to another address to avoid suspicion. Since the original barcode is covered up, it is impossible to even trace these packages and they simply “vanish.”

The thieves who do this will also target handguns and jewelry but, since they are not trying to sneak it past a guard, they have the freedom to target larger packages, such as rifles, TVs, and computers. How do you avoid this?

It’s simple. You put an address label on ALL SIX SIDES of the box. A package so labeled will be passed up by a prospective thief, since he must now try to cover up six labels instead of only one. This is too risky, since the areas where these packages are sorted are often under electronic surveil-lance.If you are a gunsmith or store owner who ships UPS, and the package you are shipping is worth over $1000, inform the driver who picks it up and have him initial the pickup record. These “high value” packages are audited and are segregated from other packages. They are not sorted or run over conveyor belts, and they are subject to a chain-of-custody type of procedure that will prevent their being stolen. I feel 100% safe in saying that a handgun that is shipped in a larger-than-normal box of good quality, with a discreet ASR barcode, and with address labels on all six sides will NEVER get stolen or lost.

It’s unfortunate that a few of the 16 million pieces a day that we ship are in danger of being stolen but, if you take these simple precautions, you won’t be a victim.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 12-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

You should give this to Dean for Parker Pages, not all our members will read it here and this is very good advice. Thanks
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Mike
Thank You!! It scares the hell out of me to ship a valuable Parker UPS or USPS! This sure helps.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Dwyer For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I think the most secure form of shipping is USPS "Registered Mail", it has to be signed off at every step by the responsible employee and put in a safe while waiting for transport. UPS in my experience has been a PITA to deal with when it comes to firearms.
USPS Registered Mail
Unread 12-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default USPS Registered Mail

I agree that Registered mail is the best way to ship firearms.

The costs and limits of insurance tell you a lot about the relative safety of Registered Mail, USPS Insured Mail, UPS and FedEx.

USPS Registered Mail can be insured for up to $25,000.00, far higher than all other options. Also, the cost of that insurance is much (about half, as I remember) lower per dollar than even USPS Insured Priority Mail.

Last, I would really avoid shipping firearms during the Christmas season. The carriers often hire seasonal staff, who might be a bit less careful with your shipment and the thieves are really out at that time of year.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
I think the most secure form of shipping is USPS "Registered Mail", it has to be signed off at every step by the responsible employee and put in a safe while waiting for transport. UPS in my experience has been a PITA to deal with when it comes to firearms.
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

This is very helpful and thanks for posting. I shared that info with some other groups and they were very appreciative too.

When I mailed my comic books off, the auction company insured it themselves and had very strict instructions for mailing. I was told not to insure it beyond the minimum at USPS. The key was to not let anyone know there was anything of value there.
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have shipped close to 500 guns over the last ten years, All by FedEx and have never had a problem. All go in a plain box marked "fragile handle with care"

Best Regards, George
Unread 12-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post

Last, I would really avoid shipping firearms during the Christmas season. The carriers often hire seasonal staff, who might be a bit less careful with your shipment and the thieves are really out at that time of year.

Patrick
Patrick,

Your statement above is tremendously astute. Although I grumbled about the seasonal help a local Wal Marts, I never thought about those "extra" people shippers hire. Some are surely good and others, well

Thank you,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,666 Times in 1,642 Posts

Shipping a gun is risky at best no matter how it is done, My local Post Office gives me a hard time so I use UPS, they pick up here at the house, so far so good, I am a little worried I have a gun shipping Monday to me gonna be right in the mad rush! Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #10
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Gary there probably isn't a single man here who doesn't get nervous about shipping or receiving guns. BTW … I should be taking your barrels to get checked out later today. I'll call when I do.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!