Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Never Underestimate Your Kids
Unread 06-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Never Underestimate Your Kids

Didn't get a chance to post this last weekend, but took my son out to Drake landing to shoot the shotgun I bought him for Christmas. It's been a busy start of the year and I haven't been out shooting as much as I would like, so Ben hasn't shot his new gun since Christmas Day. I asked him if he wanted to go shoot, and his immediate response was, "Can I shoot the course?" Keep in mind that Ben turned 9 years old two weeks ago, and has cycled maybe ten rounds total through a shotgun in his life, and most with me having my hand on him and under the gun. I told him that we'd start off just shooting the gun again and see how it went. When we were signing in, Dan (owner of Drake Landing) asked me if Ben was going to shoot. I told Dan I was hoping to use his orientation station to let Ben shoot his gun a little bit before I shot the course. Dan said that his relays on the traps had been knocked out by lightning, but being Dan, he sent a trapper to the five stand with me and locked out the wobble trap in center position to throw a high straight bird, essentially monopolizing the whole five stand. Keep in mind this is Saturday at 11:00, his busiest day of the week, which just speaks to the kind of guy Dan is and the kind of place he runs.

I put Ben in the third station behind the trap and we started out by going over the gun and discussing proper handling and safety. I put a shell in the gun and told him to shoot at an unbroken clay on the ground, which he did by himself about three times. I then went about giving him some instruction on shooting the bird coming off of the trap, talking about the lead, and where he needed to be to hit the bird. I had him follow a few with no shells in the gun to get him used to swinging on the bird. I was sure he was going to just yank the trigger when the trap went off, like I've seen many people do that I've taken shooting for the first time. Instead, he was late, trying to hit the bird as it started to fall. A little more coaching telling him to cover the bird with the barrel on the way up, and he hits the next bird dead center, his first one ever. He didn't even know he'd hit it, I had to tell him. Honestly I'd have been happy if that's all that happened that day. But, it gets better. He reloads and hits the next two. He drops two or three in a row, and then proceeded to hit eight straight! With the realization that he could do this, we left the five stand and went out on the course.

I told Ben that he could watch me shoot, and after seeing the targets, he could try to shoot any of them he felt he could hit. He skipped the first two stations on the old course, but the A bird on station three was mostly straight away with a slight right to left, and dropping. I shot three out of four on the pair. A little coaching on where to shoot the bird based on its flight, and after missing the first one, Ben shot three straight on the A. Station four is a rabbit and a chondelle, and he decided he wanted to shoot the rabbit. I thought, oh boy, a rabbit,fast moving, straight right to left, and hopping. Will he be able to swing on it and hit the bird? Missed the first three, but centered the last one. He ended up shooting at six or seven stations on the course, and hit some crossing birds that I never would have thought possible. He of course kept up with every target he shot that day on the scorecard. I took just over fifty shells for him, and he shot every one. At the end of the day he added it up and he hit 21 targets between the five stand and the course. I know grown men who haven't fared as well. Needless to say, it was a great Father's Day present for me, and a great reminder not to underestimate Ben just because of his age. Links to a few videos below.

https://flic.kr/p/JQm8KH

https://flic.kr/p/28pRx87

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Noble Sports makes a 3/4oz 20 gauge load that is perfect for children and anyone really that is starting to shoot. They make a 7/8oz 12 ga load as well that is very mild. RST has the softest shooting shells I have ever shot and they are great killers. I loved the videos! Bringing the kids up shooting, fishing, and just being outdoors is fun for them and rewarding for us. I love what you are doing.
Kindest,
Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,193 Posts

So now you need to be planning for the future, nice SxS 20 ga, 30" tubes, before you know it he will have grown into that A grade that your buddy has and when he can shoot it he will probably out shoot you. Trust me it happens fast....................
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 06-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
So now you need to be planning for the future, nice SxS 20 ga, 30" tubes, before you know it he will have grown into that A grade that your buddy has and when he can shoot it he will probably out shoot you. Trust me it happens fast....................
Mike, why handicap him with a 30" gun? - there's a very nice 32" Parker DHE 20 gauge coming up in Morphy's auction tomorrow!! Well done and a great story!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,409 Posts

The look on his face made me smile all over. So we've been shooting together 9 years now, my how time flies my friend. In a couple of years Ben can join us after school for a quick round at Drake. He'll make a good addition to our squad.

Nice going Bud.
Unread 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,301 Times in 1,215 Posts

Very nice Ben and Mike. Thanks for sharing. What a start! Hey Mike when the time is right you can dig out that 20-gauge Model 12 you used when young.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bring him to the Southern. I first brought my middle son Edward when he was 11. He shot in the qualifier and nearly made the team. He’s 21 now and still shooting. You have great days ahead.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good stuff right there!!! Great to see the clips, and you can tell he is enjoying what he's doing. The nut don't fall too far from the tree Dad.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 06-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the days when he can join me at the shoots. I'll have him ready for the PGCA youth shoot when he's old enough for sure. Frank, you can bet he'll be in that model 12-20 before too long. Kevin, he does need a side by side, but you can't appreciate a gun like that Parker without shooting something like his 870 first. �� Finally got this last video to post of station three. Click on the link under the pic to get to the video.

Mike

First Time Shooting Clays by Mike Smith, on Flickr
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Mike that just made me smile. In a few years he'll be going to shoots and to Morrison Pines. I'd be careful of the possession on a certain DHE 20 with 30 inch barrels it might get confiscated by Ben