Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Lookup please?
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default Lookup please?

On the road, can I get a lookup on 162473?
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Hello Mark , 162473 ,Trojan Grade , No Extras ,Pistol Grip ,16 Gauge 28" Barrels !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Russ, correct for book, rough but original, Will be my first Parker 16!
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Oh, and it is a “rib extension” Trojan!
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

I like that rib extension on the Trojan guns ,I also like the 16 Gauge ! Every Trojan I have owned has been choked so tight I couldn't hit much with it ,I remedied this by purchasing spreader loads ! I once owned a Trojan 16 " With Rib Extension "and got invited out to hunt Pen Raised Quail at a Private club the day after I bought it ! I figured I might as well take the Newly purchased 16 which I had never shot before ,man what a surprise ,I couldn't hit any thing with it and My Buddy which normally shoots just a bit worse than I do was cleaning up Quail after Quail with his little 16 Ga. Fox Sterly ! After a morning of suffering through shot after shot and never touching a feather and quite a bit of ribbing of the Fox being quite superior over The Parker Gun and for my poor shooting abilities over three very qualified Brit's ,my Buddy let me in on his little secret " The Spreader Loads "and gave me a handful and things changed dramatically ! He sure had a GOOD TIME that day The joke was on me ! Congrats on your new Parker !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Is that the one that was like $495 on Gunsinternational? Good snag there, if so. I was about to lose my self control when I went back on last night and it was gone
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes it was, and a sales associate there told me the gun was mine, then when I went to pay yesterday morning, I was informed the the gun had already been spoken for. Oh well, they said if the guy sends back after inspection I had next shot. Spoke too soon!! Gotta learn about counting those Un hatched chickens!!!
Unread 12-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Well that stinks
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yeah....as the saying goes....ya pays your money and you take your chances!

I am sure the sellers story is true...That is the problem though with GI that there is not a "buy it now" feature. I think GI is better when it comes to investment grade guns, but for us "treasure hunters" it is less than ideal....for that I much prefer GB and even in some circumstances Armslist. My real pet peeve is trying to buy ANYTHING that Cabela's advertises on GI. I have made probably a dozen attempts over the years without any success. I have purchased a couple of guns "in store" at Cabelas, but have had extremely unsatisfactory experiences trying to buy on of their GI advertised guns.
Unread 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
I like that rib extension on the Trojan guns ,I also like the 16 Gauge ! Every Trojan I have owned has been choked so tight I couldn't hit much with it ,I remedied this by purchasing spreader loads ! I once owned a Trojan 16 " With Rib Extension "and got invited out to hunt Pen Raised Quail at a Private club the day after I bought it ! I figured I might as well take the Newly purchased 16 which I had never shot before ,man what a surprise ,I couldn't hit any thing with it and My Buddy which normally shoots just a bit worse than I do was cleaning up Quail after Quail with his little 16 Ga. Fox Sterly ! After a morning of suffering through shot after shot and never touching a feather and quite a bit of ribbing of the Fox being quite superior over The Parker Gun and for my poor shooting abilities over three very qualified Brit's ,my Buddy let me in on his little secret " The Spreader Loads "and gave me a handful and things changed dramatically ! He sure had a GOOD TIME that day The joke was on me ! Congrats on your new Parker !

My VH 16 I think is choked modified and full. It shoots tight and because of that with older gun drop I really have to bear down and focus on the gun mount or I shoot a little high. It sound counter-intuitive that if you compensate for drop that you would shoot low, but drop and little shorter LOP can do funky things.

I have never tried spreader loads in that gun since I hold it in reverence and don't bust brush with it, but if take it more open country like a dove or continental pheasant shoot and focus then I can shoot pretty good with it. Btw a trick I learned to check gun fit is to get some masking tape and a straw and tape it mid rib. Practice throwing gun up and then see if you can see bead thru straw. I was amazed at how off that I was, but once got it dialed in with some muscle memory then I can make it work. Still don't shoot it as well as some modern guns I have but it is still fun.

Was asking Bruce the other day about spreader loads and he said he did not like inconsistent patterns and said just go practice with gun and shoot better. Probably wisdom in both.

My dad picked up a shooter VH 12 gauge a while back that some one years ago had cut back the barrels so it was cylndr/cylindr. It was obviously not a sought after higher priced gun but I could not miss with that gun on clay targets out to about 25 yards. After that it was sketchy and breaks were not very clean further out.

I have taken many a bird and busted many a target close to 40 yards with that tighter choked 16. Once folded a loafing crow wafting over a dove field that was close to 60 yards out with left barrel that is full choke. That one shocked me completely.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 12-07-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote