Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Matt Mahoney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Again, thanks for the comments. This is a great site.

Todd, I'm not sure how much the petite lady shot it. Best I can figure, based on initials on brass plate on underside of the stock, this gun was given to her by the family she married into. I suspect that it was cut down at that time. She was a lady of "means" and very involved in retrievers, the sporting scene etc, so, although I never observed her shooting it, I suspect it was used on all manner of game, including Eastern Shore waterfowl.

An acquaintance of mine looked the gun up in a Parker book that he has and determined that the gun was indeed made with 28" barrels

One thing that I have not checked is chamber length. Would that era gun have had 2 3/4"?

Russ; I will attempt to upload some photos. Not sure how to do it yet.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Matt
Matt Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,177 Times in 631 Posts

Hello Matt,

I too recently aquired a Parker 20GH, though mine doesn't have ejectors. Stock was cut short and 3/16" is missing from the end of the barrels. I got it on Friday and shot it Saturday and Sunday this weekend with an Orvis slip on pad to help with the LOP.

I am enjoying it a little to much...I went through a flat of shells from RST this weekend. I am going to have LOP fixed at some point, but for now I am really enjoying my "new" 20 gauge.

Good luck with yours, by the way I am using 2 1/2" shells in mine, but I have not measured the chambers yet(I let someone borrow my chamber gauge...).
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
Matt Mahoney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Jay,

Slip-on pad helps, but I only gives me about 13 3/4". I'm not sure if I will leave it as I, or have the stock extended. I would be interested in knowing what you ultimately decide to do with yours.

Good luck with your new gun.

matt
Unread 12-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Matt that sounds awesome that you actually knew the lady. Sounded like a neat person to know about. Not a lot of sporting women in that era or in general as a percentage of sporting population. I know nothing about her and of your relationship to her but in today's age of political correctness, incorrectness and atonement I'll bet she and that Parker could hold their own. Not too many pieces of shotgunning nostalgic Americana out there for women. I'll bet if presented right that some other wealthy sporting lady that appreciates old guns would covet that fowling piece in its present setup. Problem is how many women today that are into shooting even appreciate old guns. Great question and maybe worthy of another thread.

Anyway its yours now and do want you want or can with it. Guns are somewhat like temperamental cats, they are indifferent to ownership, you love em or hate em (its a two way street), if you get used to each other the relationship works out great; if not, then that cat just lays around tormenting you or it just sort of disappears to find a new steward.

Btw, I have photographic evidence that just like the crazy cat ladies we all know at the end of the street, there are bunch of crazy gun collectors. I mean how many guns or cats does a person need/want? For the record I own more guns than I can use but just like the cat lady, I'll fight you if try and take em from me and I am always on the lookout for a good mouser.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 12-05-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 12-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

At one time I owned a VHE 20ga skeet gun that came with a 13 inch LOP
Unread 12-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #16
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,177 Times in 631 Posts

Matt, My LOP was cut to 13” though the edges were rounded so I believe that it would have to be cut back to a flat surface at 12 ¾” for a recoil pad. I don’t think a recoil pad would give me my ideal LOP, but I may consider it. Based on a PGCA member’s recommendation, I put in a ¼” thick piece of felt into my slip on pad and have my LOP at about 14”. I can live with that while I get to know the gun shooting sporting clays. I really don’t notice the slip on pad at all while I am shooting.

The original LOP on my gun was 14 ¼” which is perfect for me. A stock extension by Mark Larson with a DHBP has been recommended by several people on the forum. I do like that idea, as it would bring the stock back to its original dimensions, which happen to be a good fit for me.

I am hoping a few PGCA members will get to see the gun before I make any final decisions.

Have fun with your “new” 20!
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #17
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forum as I was just gifted a 20 Ga GH Parker.

The gun appears to have been built in 1935 and has a size 0 frame. It's previous owner was a petite lady and the length of pull to an original Parker buttplate is 13". What concerns me is the length of the barrels, 27 1/4". I read the description on the Parker website about determining if the barrels had been cut. There is no smooth band between the front bead and the end of the rib. The barrels appear to touch at the choke end, and by feel, the right barrel is slightly more open than the left.

is it likely that the barrels have been altered? Is it possible that the gun was manufactured to a 13" LOP?

Thank you for any thoughts on this matter.

Matt
Sounds like a nice gun, I would have Brain D, put on a 1 inch silvers pad and would give you a 14 LOP,
scott
Unread 12-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #18
Matt Mahoney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jay and 10 Bore,

I'm considering both options (a Silvers pad and a Mark Larson stock extension), but am going to take my time with this decision.

I have also thought about getting more out of the slip-on pad by inserting something like cardboard(or felt), but ultimately, I will have the stock extended.

Maybe tomorrow I'll make the time to take pictures and post them up.

Matt