Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #31
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Thank you Frank. What continues to confuse me is do you pull up and shoot like you would instinctively with clays/birds, or do you AIM and align the bead(s) rib? In the former it's more of a gun FIT patterning. In the latter it's more of a "is my gun shooting to point of aim and are my barrels properly regulated." Right? In the latter case those folks recommend using a rest to stabilize the gun. If I were to rest the gun and line up the beads like I would a rifle, that takes away completely the dynamic nature of how we mount and shoot. But for me it's a moot point because I've yet to develop a consistent mount.
Unread 03-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #32
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

There are different opinions on that, Andy. Here's mine, and I'm certainly not speaking for my friend Frank. His opinions may differ, and I respect them highly.

I don't like shooting patterns off of a rest. I try to pattern my shotguns as near to the same way I'll be using them as possible. For me, that means shooting offhand when I'm doing pattern testing, and from a sitting position (but not using a rest) when I'm testing for regulation. A rest can and will alter the placement of the patterns, as compared to where the patterns will be when using the gun in the field or on the range. Rests tend to make a gun shoot high, IMO.

Three shot composites, offhand, are pretty good indicators of pattern placement. Placement doesn't matter so much when you're doing pattern percentage testing, because you can pinpoint the center of the pattern before drawing the 30" circle.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #33
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

I agree 100% with my friend Stan that pattern testing must be done when firing offhand. That's the technique I learned from the late Kenny Eyster, the noted barrel and choke gunsmith. Pick up and mount/cheek the shotgun as when a shot is presented while hunting, take a split second to align the bead(s) with the aiming point, and fire without dwelling on the bead alignment. Kenny was also adament that shooting off a rest would alter the placement, i.e., center point of impact.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #34
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you both! I am looking forward to seeing where my guns shoot.
Unread 03-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #35
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

I would only add that a good trigger makes it all so much easier, and the results more trustworthy. Having good triggers on shotguns is often overlooked, IMO. I have a Parker's triggers being tended to right now. They were entirely too hard/heavy for good shooting.

Stan
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #36
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well this article I just found helps me understand part of it better, and reflects what Mister Mountain said that we're generally loading well below max pressure anyways when it comes to primers.

https://shootingsportsman.com/high-vs-low-pressure/