Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Hunting without Parkers
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Hunting without Parkers

Here's what you do when you run out of shells in the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFjFptZ1wGI
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

would not have believed it if i had not seen it..this guy is definealy fast...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I can say, without even lying, that I did something similar once. Now I will say the bird was crippled, so that did help me out a lot I'm sure.

A high school friend and I were quail hunting down at home with a new dog he'd just gotten. We'd had a point on a small covey and both knocked down a bird. Mine was a crippled runner and I happened to see it going off down a corn stubble row so gave chase. The dog was a ways off looking for the bird he knocked down so not much help.

The bird stopped under some cover and I managed to catch up with it. Just as I got there it flushed towards me (it was nearly under my feet) and on reflex I stuck out my hand managing to actually catch it. My friend saw it happen but didn't quite realize what went on till I walked over to him with the live quail still in my hand.

With that same friend on another occasion we were running a pair of dogs and had something happen I doubt I ever see again. The lead dog pointed and the younger dog backed just as it should. We walked in and jumped a small covey, again both knocking down a bird. The dogs both went out and picked the birds up then turned to come back and almost simultaneously pointed again, both holding a dead quail in their mouths. We stood there amazed for a second them walked in jumping a tight holding single which I believe my friend killed. If I'd have had a camera on me I'd have made the cover of Field and Stream with that shot.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

How a dog can get the scent of a bird while holding one in his mouth amazes me. "How do it know?"
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

We were just young guys and didn't even know they'd do that! I've often wondered if they just don't happen to "see" rather than "smell" them when that happens.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

great storey destrey i sure wish you would have had a camera that day...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote