Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow,

I see it originally came with a Silvers pad according to the order card. Is the current LOP still the 13 3/4" specified on the order card? I also love the fact that it was factory choked at cylinder and mod. That screams of a gun that was designed for quail over them pointy dogs about 100 years ago.

PS. I'm a big fan of the wood they used as well. Super Super Gun.

Double PS. Fox often lopped off a couple of inches to make those 26" barrelled guns. Long as they track back to the order card they are the still the real McCoy. Love to have that one when shooting just about any upland bird for sure.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,096 Times in 389 Posts

I can see why you were able to spot that gun from twenty feet away! What a nice Fox!
You must have been one of the first in the door to get that one!
Thanks for the pics!
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, I measured and inspected this gun like I do all of them. The length of the chokes are what made me feel comfortable about the barrels being the original length. Early Philadelphia Foxes have nice long chokes that can be 4 inches or more. The chokes in this one do start about 4 inches back and taper from back to front like they should. If it had ben cut somewhere besides the factory, they wouldn't be that long. Unfortunately, the later Savage era Foxes don't typically have chokes this long. I've got several Sterlingworths with factory chokes that are closer to 2 inches in length. I guess you could say it was an "educated chance" that I took. Much like the Parker serialization book, it's nice to have access to the order cards to validate my assumptions.

Tom, the gun still sports the original 13 3/4 in LOP with the White Line pad. I'm considering replacing the pad with one of the current Silvers pads that are available. I'm closer to a 14 1/4 in LOP, but after shooting it the past two weekends with a jacket and my hunting vest on, I actually haven't minded the shorter length.

Daryl, I'll have quite a few to drag to the Southern this year. If I get my way, I'd like to be toting a nice 12ga Parker Hammer Gun by then. It's next on my wish list after seeing so many at the Fall Southern.

David, I think I was just meant to have this gun. I usually show up at the shows first thing in the morning when I can, before the "low hanging fruit" is snapped up. In this case, my wife was running in a race that Morning, and I couldn't make the show until about 2:00 on Saturday. The dealer said that a few people had looked at it, and three others inquired about buying it while I was standing there taking my measurements. I was certainly surprised to see that it lasted that long on the table.

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike.Smith For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Smith View Post
I was certainly surprised to see that it lasted that long on the table.

Mike

Yeah, me too Mike.

I think a lot of gun show attendees lose out on some fine guns thinking they can come back at the end of the day or end of the last day and throw a low-ball price expecting to have their low offer snapped up. NOT SO in a lot of cases... Quality will always sell at its true value.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote