Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #101
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
So I just bought a cool double gun from a gent in the upper midwest and he shipped it on Monday Jan 4 by REGISTERED MAIL. If you're not familiar with Registered Mail, it's is held in high security/locked cages etc and every person that handles the package must "sign" for it. From what I understand it can't be tracked as typical and kind of goes into limbo until delivered. Let's see how long it takes getting to PA.
My experiences with registered mail was like taking a step back in time when the mail was carried by the pony express.

I've never been as frustrated with any form of shipping as I was with registered mail. Between the special packing & taping requirements, the hit or miss tracking features & particularly the slow shipment process. I told myself I'll never use it again & haven't.

Good luck with your gun, I wish you the best!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #102
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

My question is unless the signatory of your package travels with your package how secure is it? To me it is another revenue creating scheme by the P.O. When the china virus is history, this forum will still be reviewing the faults of the P.O. Personally, I would pay $1.00 for a 1st class letter for improved service from a private carrier who seem to deliver on time despite the virus.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
USPS Service Levels
Unread 01-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #103
Scott Smith
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default USPS Service Levels

I am waiting for check from VA that was mailed 12/11/2020. A fellow PGCA member in MS is waiting for a package that I mailed 12/14/2020.

The USPS service levels seem to be at an all time low. Reliance on government services is a slippery slope indeed.
Scott Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #104
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
So I just bought a cool double gun from a gent in the upper midwest and he shipped it on Monday Jan 4 by REGISTERED MAIL. If you're not familiar with Registered Mail, it's is held in high security/locked cages etc and every person that handles the package must "sign" for it. From what I understand it can't be tracked as typical and kind of goes into limbo until delivered. Let's see how long it takes getting to PA.
UPDATE on Jan 8
Well, wonder of wonders, the gun was scanned twice on Monday and Tuesday as it traveled through two places in the north midwest and again this morning at about 1-am in Philadelphia. Getting close and way atypically fast for Registered Mail.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #105
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

The cookies we sent to Rock Hill, SC on 12/9 were delivered yesterday. A late X-mas gift. I hope USPS settles down now that the election is finally over.
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #106
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I spent 40 minutes in our PO two days ago in a long line of folks still picking up Xmas gift packages.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #107
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pulis View Post
The cookies we sent to Rock Hill, SC on 12/9 were delivered yesterday. A late X-mas gift. I hope USPS settles down now that the election is finally over.
Did the cookies arrive or was it a box of mold?
Unread 01-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #108
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

I'll repeat the first 2 paragraphs here for background, first one was posted on Tuesday Jan 5

So I just bought a cool double gun from a gent in the upper midwest and he shipped it on Monday Jan 4 by REGISTERED MAIL. If you're not familiar with Registered Mail, it's held in high security/locked cages etc and every person that handles the package must "sign" for it. From what I understand it can't be tracked as typical and kind of goes into limbo until delivered. Let's see how long it takes getting to PA.

UPDATE on Jan 8
Well, wonder of wonders, the gun was scanned twice on Monday and Tuesday as it traveled through two places in the north midwest and again this morning at about 1-am in Philadelphia. Getting close and way atypically fast for Registered Mail.

LAST UPDATE on Saturday Jan 9
Just a note that the gun was delivered this morning. 5 days in transit; that's significantly shorter than many had reported of their experiences with Registered Mail and with tracking scans along the way.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #109
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,922 Times in 2,690 Posts

I know what you'll be shooting tomorrow!!

Quote:

UPDATE on Jan 8

LAST UPDATE on Saturday Jan 9
Just a note that the gun was delivered this morning. 5 days in transit; that's significantly shorter than many had reported of their experiences with Registered Mail and with tracking scans along the way.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #110
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,836 Times in 2,363 Posts

I bought three items on ebay on the evening of 3 January. Two were at my post office yesterday. I didn't check the mail on the 7th, so they could have been there earlier.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote