Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Redneck chamber depth gauge
Unread 11-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Redneck chamber depth gauge

Pictured on top of one of my favorite books ever, is my "Redneck shotgun chamber depth gauge". Given that I am a thrifty person by nature, except that sometimes that has to go by the wayside when it comes to Parkers and other fine firearms, I am always looking for a thrifty solution to a problem.

I took a standard 2 3/4" 12 gauge shotgun shell and created a plug on the lathe, and inserted it into the 2 3/4" shell. In theory, it should work, except for I am unaware if the tolerances would be tight enough to always differentiate a shotgun rechambered for 2 3/4" versus one in its original 2 9/16" configuration. I don't currently have a known original shotgun with 2 9/16" chambers to try it on.

Here's the alternative: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-prod593.aspx

With something like this, virtually free is better, provided it works!

While we are at it, how does rechambering a vintage Parker shotgun affect value? I would think with a "shooter" it would enhance value, but a high grade nearly mint gun it would hurt value. How about your standard VH grades with above average condition, or even a DHE?
Attached Images
File Type: jpe Redneck depth chamber gauge.jpe (61.8 KB, 5 views)
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Pictured on top of one of my favorite books ever, is my "Redneck shotgun chamber depth gauge". Given that I am a thrifty person by nature, except that sometimes that has to go by the wayside when it comes to Parkers and other fine firearms, I am always looking for a thrifty solution to a problem.

I took a standard 2 3/4" 12 gauge shotgun shell and created a plug on the lathe, and inserted it into the 2 3/4" shell. In theory, it should work, except for I am unaware if the tolerances would be tight enough to always differentiate a shotgun rechambered for 2 3/4" versus one in its original 2 9/16" configuration. I don't currently have a known original shotgun with 2 9/16" chambers to try it on.

Here's the alternative: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-prod593.aspx

With something like this, virtually free is better, provided it works!

While we are at it, how does rechambering a vintage Parker shotgun affect value? I would think with a "shooter" it would enhance value, but a high grade nearly mint gun it would hurt value. How about your standard VH grades with above average condition, or even a DHE?
Why not use your lathe to turn a "plug" or rod (it could be wood if that's what you have) the correct diameter to fit into the chamber? Make it long enough so it protrudes out of the breach (just like the ones from Brownells). Stick it into the camber until it stops, mark the rod at the breach, and measure the length from the end of the rod to the mark.

The problem with using a shotgun shell is that it isn't long enough to measure a chamber that is longer than the shell.
Unread 11-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

That certainly would be easy enough to do. What dimensions should I make it to? Such that, without question, it hangs up at 2 9/16" if that is the true depth or extends to 2 3/4 " if that is the true depth.

I guess what I had in mind is something that extends to 2 3/4" deep if that was truly the depth, or sticks out 3/16" (2 3/4 - 2 9/16 = 3/16) if the chamber depth remains the original 2 9/16".
Unread 11-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Make it 6” long — stick it in the chamber until it stops then mark it at the breach. Remove the rod and measure the length from the end you inserted to the mark you made.
Unread 11-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I was implying diameter. I have a 2 3/4" Fox Sterlingworth I can use as a template, but I want to make it small enough so it doesn't get stuck and big enough so that it truly hangs up at 2 9/16".
Unread 11-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

This what I use. About as frugal as you can get but it works well. A 16 inserted into a 12 and a 28 inserted into a 20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chamber length.jpg (328.9 KB, 2 views)
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 11-25-2019, 12:04 AM   #7
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Another cheapie method is just cut an empty hull off at the base, square it up, measure it and put the squared up end into the chamber til it stops and measure with a 6" machinists scale how far the hull went into the chamber and add that to the length of your squared off hull.

Works good for me.

Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 11-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

A great book. enjoyed reading it.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:

I would never, under any circumstances, alter the chambers of a good old double gun, regardless of whether it is collector condition or a just plain shooter. There is never a good reason to do so where another remedy would solve the perceived 'problem'.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Dean has come around to my way of thinking, or maybe he always thought that way. Don't take steel away from a good set of barrels, for any reason.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: