Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Should it be illegal to hunt with an 8 gauge?
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Should it be illegal to hunt with an 8 gauge?

That's about all we'd need to set us back 50 years, Ray. The issue isn't six ducks, shooting turkeys with rifles, fair chase, constitutional change. It's public acceptance. We're barely tolerated now.

Our sport is polluted with ginks who think bigger is better, and if there's a bigger gauge the ginks will have them whether they can shoot them well or not. Consider the noise, unwanted sound.

For years I've watched these lads who blithely as the Bobbsey Twins close with their barrages where I've hunted with 12s for more than 60 years. For what? A bigger bang, a bigger gun, a fanciful notion?

More galling is that I've yet to see a cannonading gunner who shot any better than those with traditional gauges. Each has a right to pleasure as long as it does not infringe the pleasure of others.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Brown For Your Post:
Unread 08-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Very well said King. "It's public acceptance. We're barely tolerated now." If for no other reason, "public acceptance" must be a primary consideration in all that we do with guns today, especially in less than rural places.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, unfortunately public acceptance doesn't mean evidence-based reasoning, as Ray suggests. Publics often endorse weird notions. We have to live with what is. As a flier and shooter, I must accommodate majorities for the enjoyment of my pursuits whether it makes sense or not.
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Fellas, the "public acceptance" argument, which is also flawed, doesn't answer the question I posed. I was wondering if there is a plausible argument that allowing the use of a rifle, and not an 8 ga, really had something to do with "fair chase" when hunting a turkey or any other big game. I wanted to know what I was overlooking. I could think of a plausible reason not to allow a rifle as they are more dangerous because of the range. Hunters can get killed by a stray bullet a lot faster then stray shot. I think the rule is irrational until somebody can explain the error of my thoughts.

Now, the new "public acceptance" question. Do you really think the anti-hunters really care what weapon is used to take a turkey? They don't want us hunting at all. Period!!!!!!
I don't think they could even explain the difference between a rifle and an 8 ga. We are not "acceptable" to them because we use a 12 ga. They think we're terrible just for hunting.

"Acceptance" depends on where you live. I'm down south. Hunters are generally accepted here. In fact, I don't know of a true anti-hunter around here. Some choose not to hunt but they're not against it. Heck, around here you don't even need a hunting license to hunt hogs (except on public land). Thus, I think hunting is not "unaccepted" by the public or there would be a rule requiring a license. Certainly the legislature would like to require a license so it could raise more money but the "public" won't allow it!

Each state should do what it thinks best. The rule isn't valid just because it's 92 years old! In my view, there is no valid reason to disallow use of an 8 ga in light the of the other regulations in place. I'm openminded so I hope someone can give me some rational basis for the rule-even if I think my argument is better. I think if we really thought about what real purpose the rule serves now we'd find that it serves no purpose. Just throwing around phases like "fair chase" and "public acceptance" without really explaining how it is "fair" or "acceptable" doesn't get to the crux of the matter. How would it really set us back 50 years? Anti-hunters still won't like us. Hunters in general would probably be supportive with proper regulation. The rest of the world (the majority) probably wouldn't even care or understand.

Please believe me that I respect everyone's views. It's a interesting subject. I must have too much time on my hands by worrying about it.

I do agree with Bruce. It's not likely this rule can be changed if for no other reason that the gun owning, freedom loving members of this forum can't even agree on the subject.

I realize that folks in New England, for example, my not be as accepting. In the real world I don't think the average person really cares if we hunt or not. They have more important things to worry about. The problem is that the extremists on both sides of the issue get all the press leading everyone to believe there is great disagreement on the subject.

King, I don't think bigger is better. I just think it would be fun to hunt a turkey with a 8 ga and no one can give me a sound reason why it shouln't be allowed. Again, think of the reason they were outlawed in the first place, ie to stop market hunters from killing everything in sight. Is that true today? Of course not. Other regulations that came in effect later takes care of that problem, ie bag limits. If the reason the rule was enacted is no longer a factor, why have the rule? Why should I be punished for the sins of my great-grandfather?
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ray, reason prevailing isn't the thing. The thing behind the thing is democratic societies decide how they want to live. As a freelance social and natural resources activist, my work involves making and changing laws. In forestry, myths have become legislation through ignorance, militating against sustainable forest management which publics proclaim that they want. Our countries choose whacky policies by popular consent notwithstanding reality, we change our minds but are left with the misery. Reason or the public interest doesn't enter into it---public interest meaning what we'd choose if we saw clearly, though rationally and acted disinterestedly.
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Perhaps you can make the argument that 8ga and larger shotguns should be allowed for turkey hunting once non-toxic shot is mandated for all hunting. Sadly I think that day is coming.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

The fact is that you can shoot a turkey with an eight gauge in some states. I don't know which states they are, but they are out there. I'm not sure that the 1918 law covers RSA waterfowl either. Maybe someone could check this out.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

the 8 ga is a lot of fun to shootand to hunt with...i also wish that the laws could be changed to be able to hunt ducks and geese with them...these old guns weremeant to be able tohunt water fowl with...this is my opinion but i belive that most of your market hunters used 10 and 12 ga guns to hunt with... and when the repeating arms came along it was the 12 ga that was favored to hunt with....there was not more than a little over 400 parker 8 ga built only about 50 or less lc smiths built....there were millions of model 97s winchesters and remingtons and marlins and the list goes on.....the repeater with its fire power greater than the 8 ga as killed far more game than the mighty 8.....it was not the guns faults but it was mans we thought that there would never be a end to the flocks of ducks and geese... man almost brought extinction to most game but man finally seen the light... man has seen that we had to look after the game animals and birds that we all love to hunt...so throgh the efforts of man he has turned hisself around and sees that through our efforts that we will preserve something for our future generations.....in my opion it was nou the large bore gun the punt gun nore the 4 or 8 ga or the repeaters that liked to have took our game and wide life into the history books... it was ourselves that we had to bring under control... all things being said the few that want to hunt with the 8 ga should be allowed to hunt with them.... the 8 ga would be a wonderful fowling piece still if man had understood that it was hisself that had destroyed the great flocks ofducks and geese.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Amen, Charlie.

Bill, I'm glad to hear some states allow them.

King, I agree with your last post. It is well taken. Democratic societies have silly rules at times. I don't think it was silly when the law was enacted in 1918 for the reasons I've previously stated. Cutting down on punt guns, 8 ga and repeaters magazines helped waterfowl popualtions. But it's silly now. Most state regualtion on the subject is done by bureaucrats, not legislatures. There is nothing democratic about that. There is no state statue here on the subject but rather a regulation promulgated by Fish and Game. I think they should not be used for waterfowl unless they can shoot nontoxic shot. That's rational-and I think rational still counts for something in this counrty. Why give in to the irrational. Look what has happened to us by doing so in the past. Otherwise, it's time for a change if the people want change.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

This is a great discussion and everyone's opinions are valid. I'm enjoying this thread immensely and I don't own a 8 bore and I wouldn't care to hunt with one only for the weight factor.... a fifteen lb. gun is a fifteen lb. gun no matter if you're hunting turkey or geese so it certainly wouldn't be my choice for a fun morning of hunting, But, hey - if you want to hunt with an 8 bore, I agree- the reasons for banning the big gun are no longer valid.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote