Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

LOP and DAH questions
Unread 12-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,066 Posts

Default LOP and DAH questions

I assume that a lot of us who shoot these vintage guns shoot them as they come, not too much in the way of stock alteration beyond permanent or temporary recoil pads, etc?

I'm fairly average in height (a little over 5'11") and around 220lbs (OK; too fat!). Most of my guns are right around 14" LOP give or take an 1/8" or so. For a poor man's LOP gauge my late father-in-law used to put his hand in shooting position and lay the gun on his forearm; if the end of the stock hit the crook of his elbow he figured that was about right. I've also heard that if you mount the gun and your thumb doesn't hit you in the nose you're OK. At the range I'll typically shoot in a shirt and padded vest; in the field I might have as much as 3-4 layers; I always figured all that probably made more difference than a few fractions on the stock so I've never worried too much about it.

Most of my guns are around 2-3/4" DAH, again give or take an 1/8". I currently have a little 20ga on the way that's purported to have 3" DAH and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem.

Part of me says don't overthink it, just shoot the durn things. I know I don't have the luxury of having all my guns restocked to the same dimensions, so if you don't either I'm curious as to how much variation you find acceptable between guns.

Any input/opinions appreciated. Thanks...
Unread 12-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

one of the most interesting and entertaining things about collecting and shooting Parker is finding a gun that fits me and my pocketbook that can used for bird to be hunted.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Great question! I'm looking forward to a good tutorial that just might make it into the FAQ page. Someone with a try-gun must know the answer to this.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Phil: I am 6-2, 190 and find my ideal dimensions are 14 1/4, 1 1/2, 2 1/2 with no cast and 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches of pitch. Most of my Parkers are 14, 1 3/4, 2 3/4. I just lighten up the spot weld of my face on the comb, and they seem to do fine. I can shoot as much as a 3 inch drop at heel, but have to spot weld a little lower on my jaw than with the straighter guns. Anything over 3 and I pass on the gun--just too much to adapt to, although if it were my only gun I'm sure I could do it eventually. This sounds like I am a crack shot. I am not. I shoot 55% average at clays with 80% being my best day. Crossed dominant. I do a little better on large birds like pheasants and geese. I get 5 rounds of clays and 10 days in the field a year if I am lucky, so I won't be getting any better. Have fun.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Poindexter For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
David Fishley
On Vacation

Member Info

If you think about a trap or skeet gun the essence of shooting accurately is mounting the gun over and over so it always mounts in the same position on your shoulder, where our face plants on the stock, how cocked your head is (held high or leaned down into the gun) where you place your hand on the forearm, etc. If you change any dimensions of the gun, wear a glove, add a few layers of clothes or fundamentally change your mounting positions you will feel the gun differently. The balance in relation to your body will change, it may kick more, it may slap your face, etc.

If you have a t-shirt on and mount a gun it will fit one way, if you are wearing 3 layers of clothes it will mount differently. That will throw your shooting off until you shoot it enough to compensate for the added LOP. It is the same for DAH, DAC and cast. If you have some agility in your arms, neck and head you can compensate for some but not all the factors. Some people because of their build and or dexterity are unable to compensate and poorly shoot guns that do not fit.

It is best to find or have measured for you a gun that fits best and when you purchase a new gun try to keep those dimensions within a small range of those measurements.

I have a Greener with a 13.5 lop which is too short for me. If I add a few layers of cloths it matters not. I still try to mount it in the same way as my other guns, my face lands on the wrong place on the stock and I get kicked in the cheek. I don't shoot it enough to train myself to compensate for the difference in LOP.
David Fishley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Jerry Parise
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well, if you have ever had a stock fitting and know your dimensions you could always have the stock bent for drop and cast. I have had this done to two guns and they both shoot beautifully for me now.
Jerry Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

I was fitted last winter at Connecticut Shotgun for a custom RBL that I ordered. I was a bit surprised at how high the dimensions were compared to what I thought I liked and shot pretty well. Long story short I love the gun and shoot it as well as can be expected. I just try and find guns that are close to that fit now.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I found this on the web and I think there are words of wisdom here.....
http://www.gundogmag.com/training/fi...un-to-fit-you/
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Phil, thanks for this interesting thread. It will indeed be entertaining because opinions on gun fit are so varied. Rather than offer my rendition of the ideal I'll offer this.

As coach for a youth shotgun team I struggled with getting new shooters getting a proper gun mount. That is, until I purchased a quality in-the-bore laser. Many shooters think they are pointing the gun at the target but the laser tells a different story. The laser does not lie. It has turned out to be one of the better purchases I ever made.

Last edited by Gary Laudermilch; 12-08-2016 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: poor spelling
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Perhaps it's just my build, but I find the drop at the comb to be more important than the drop at the heel. I'm 5' 7" and 158. If the drop at the comb is between 1 1/2 to 1 5/8, it does not seem to matter much if the DAH is 2 5/8 or 3 1/4. Maybe it's because most of my guns have a short LOP and I shoot in a rather " heads up " position, but I prefer around 3 " at the heel.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote