Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #21
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Read your own citation , smart gun laws. You can still carry a handgun while hunting. There are many exceptions.
Yes provided it is hunting season and you have a hunting license, and they believe you. Of course nothing mentioned about target shooting or open carry for personal defense so no exception there. Cali is certainly not a place where I would want to take a chance having a handgun for any purpose and that is precisely what they are trying to accomplish which apparently you think is smart?
Unread 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #22
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:

The well regulated state militias of the day in the Revolutionary War and subsequent wars held the line against the best of the enemy.
Seems there are contradictory thoughts on the matter of militias.

http://www.patriotshistoryusa.com/te...-and-regulars/
Unread 06-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #23
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

We have very liberal gun laws out here and I like it that way. No so the east or California.

But I realize that few articles of the Constitution are so argued about and so open to interpretation as the Second Amendment. Seems there are some who are convinced their own interpretation is the only possible one and everyone else is wrong.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #24
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

For the sake of entertainment, let us revisit high school English/grammar:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This is ONE sentence.
It contains three clauses.
It specifies a "militia" as being necessary for the security of a free State (the USA)
It specifies that militia should be well-regulated. As in not a free-wheeling mob.
It then connects the People with a specific RIGHT: The Right to "keep and bear arms."
It goes further in stating that this Right "shall not be infringed." In other words, limited.

What in God's name is there to "interpret" about any of that?
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #25
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

You are so right. All the courts of appeal, all the judges that have different interpretations are wrong. They know nothing. Case closed.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Quote:
My great grand mother Nellie Putnam thanks you. The Putnams were at Concord and Bunker Hill. Others were with the Wisconsin Regiments at Gettysburg.

To say nothing of your ancestor Anne Putnam, who in 1692/3 at the age of 11 was partially responsible for the execution of at least four women, she having co-accused them of practicing witchcraft. One of the accused and subsequently executed, Rebecca Nurse, was a good wife and mother residing on the other side of Meeting House Road from the property my family owned in Danvers (formerly Salem Village). I learned to hunt pheasants with a Parker Trojan 12 in the cornfields of the Rebecca Nurse property.

This all just a tidbit I thought would be interesting... Though totally off topic.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #27
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
You are so right. All the courts of appeal, all the judges that have different interpretations are wrong. They know nothing. Case closed.
Now now lets play nice. We PGCA members are basically on the same page. The real problem is that the folks who interpret this stuff- legislators, people with black robes and the State Capitals or White House are for the most part scared stiff of guns. They never shot skeet, they never hunted, they think all food comes shrink wrapped, they don't own any guns and have never shot one. And the hardest part for us is that they are probably the 3rd or 4th generation in their family who have that in their DNA.
It doesn't matter if they are Ds or Rs. They are far removed from having any knowledge of what they have the power to regulate. And the press who report on this are in the same boat. I guarantee Anderson Cooper never shot a gun.
So the way they look at (interpret) the words are always going to be different than the way we do.
I don't know what my conclusion is.
We have a monumental educational and experiential task ahead to change the people who regulate us. We can scream that this is what the constitution means until we are blue, but if the folks in charge couldn't care less about guns, we are going to lose.
And of course it helps not when some mentally deranged person kills 26 people with a pack of guns.
I'll just shut up.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

....or shoots and kills a young singer right after her performance while she is signing autographs.
Those are the kinds of people who, unfortunately, cause all gun owners to be painted with the same brush.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #29
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
For the sake of entertainment, let us revisit high school English/grammar:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This is ONE sentence.
It contains three clauses.
It specifies a "militia" as being necessary for the security of a free State (the USA)
It specifies that militia should be well-regulated. As in not a free-wheeling mob.
It then connects the People with a specific RIGHT: The Right to "keep and bear arms."
It goes further in stating that this Right "shall not be infringed." In other words, limited.

What in God's name is there to "interpret" about any of that?
You are clear as a bell John. Keep in mind that liberalism IS a mental disorder. Need I elaborate?

George is also on point. The problem is, D or R, we as a society have become more urban than rural. Bruce has a point. I believe that the country is higher in the middle and everything loose rolls either east or west.

I'm climbing down from my soapbox now and going to shoot one of my guns. That always makes me feel better.
Unread 06-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #30
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

This is a pic of me standing in the crowded Lobby of the Lexington Hyatt regency. Imagine if I was standing in a lobby in New York or LA. No one was feeling threatened. No one called 911. Security didn't taze me and cuff me. People just looked and admired the gun or walked by. Kentucky has the most liberal gun laws of any state in the union. It's been part of our heritage from the beginning. Thankfully the Pinheads have so far been kept at bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (250.0 KB, 4 views)
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!