Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Charles Parker's living room in NY museum
Unread 08-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
R.J. Preece
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Charles Parker's living room in NY museum

I haven't seen it mentioned, so thought I'd add, as some may not know and a lot is online. A "parlor room" of the Wilcox-Parker mansion, formerly on Broad Street, Meriden (demolished c. 1970) was exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York for many years until at least last year (gallery 737). (The Met keeps changing their website and no direct link is currently available but below you'll see a photo - Renaissance Revival.)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=metro...X7XiPPCzTcM%3A

In short, it's often called "the Wilcox mansion" and sometimes the Parker mansion because Jedediah Wilcox built it, but then he very quickly faced severe financial troubles, and then Parker bought it. (It caused a controversy at the time as the two were political rivals.) Rumor has it that the original staircase is up in Hartford, and that the Met originally acquired 3 rooms from the mansion, but 2 got deaccessioned and their current location is unknown. The fence is on a property in Virginia (link below) and other interior elements were saved, but wherabouts unknown. For Parker collectors, with some research, I'd think some of these things could be acquired.

Here's an hour-long video presentation with a wrap-around summary and a bunch of links about the mansion, including a long list of newspaper articles talking about attempts to save the mansion from demolition at the CT state capitol and a lobby went to Washington, DC.

http://www.artdesigncafe.com/wilcox-...ion-meriden-ct

http://danvilleexperience.blogspot.n...cek-fence.html
Lastly, for Meriden history- and business-centered information about Parker and related companies, 19 books are online, compiled here. (You can search "Parker" in the books on archive.org and the pages will be shown.) The Atwater "Memoirs" is particularly critical:

http://www.artdesigncafe.com/meriden...ks-information
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilcox-parker mansion.jpg (78.4 KB, 207 views)
Robert Preece is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Robert Preece's homepage!
Unread 08-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Thanks
It is interesting that the Wilcox and Parker families became close and even business associates.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
R.J. Preece
Forum Associate

Member Info

It might be more like a family feud. Earlier they competed to become the mayor of Meriden, and Wilcox lost. In the presentation, Bradley's son (Bradley & Hubbard company) bought the mansion in, I think, a "sealed-bid" auction, which Wilcox's relatives were also bidding on for him. (Apparently Jedediah went bankrupt.) Then Bradley somehow transferred it to Parker... The latter is mentioned in a newspaper article that is online; it "created quite a stir". Hehe. From the limited photos I've seen, I've yet to see a gun case in the house! Maybe the Met is hiding it. :-)
Robert Preece is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Preece For Your Post:
Visit Robert Preece's homepage!