Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Reality shows are really garbage. Especially the couple of wilderness survival shows I watched. I can't watch them anymore. They are incredible phoney. I take three trips a year to the Rockies in Colorado to catch the greenback cutthroat trout which only exist above about 12,000 feet. I spend five days alone on a high peak that is 13,300 feet. I take no food and forage for edible greens and eat brook trout for five days that I bring to altitude with me. I know all about survival in a hostile environment and what I need to do to stay out of trouble.

I watched one show that where the "survivalist" stated many things that were dangerously wrong. I couldn't believe it. What he said could get someone in big trouble.
The guy knew nothing about survival in an area far away from the nearest human. I turned the show off when he made a big deal about catching a brook trout. He took the live trout, bit the head off and then ate it whole. What utter nonsense. I'm sure he was at a low altitude location with many people filming. The fact that they put a jerk like that on and called him a survival expert really got to me. Horrible!! It still pisses me off when I think about it.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2018, 02:13 AM   #22
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Quote: "Wow! That’s quite a statement. You have never bought a TV?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike:

That’s right, never bought one, don’t have one in my house; but, probably will if a house-mate comes in here and buys one for his own room. Huge surcharge, but not impossible, if he wants it put in a common room.

I did once own a TV. Was then renting an apartment in Boston. Girlfriend living across town bought a second color TV and gave me her old black and white. Turned it on one time only, to watch Reagan give his Evil Empire speech. The next time I tried to view something it no longer powered up.

So, we set it up in a friend's backyard as a target for harpoon practice. Had the satisfaction of “breaking the target”, that is, seeing the hand-launched pole smash the plastic screen and continue on through and out the back-side of the unit, all done with a panache rarely achieved since.

Hey, it has been said that the things you like to do between the ages of 13 and 23 are the things that keep you happily occupied the rest of your life.

Books I have never read; others that at this stage in life can now be satisfyingly re-read; there is internet; collections to putter over; fishing tackle to be overhauled; old house forever in need of some sort of maintenance; talk radio to listen to, all of which leaves little time or need for TV watching.

And, as Brian implied, there are always friends who have Netflix available at their houses.
Unread 07-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #23
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Good for you Russel. I have bought TV's but only have a wall antenna so get 3 network channels, two of which are absolutely useless, so my TV time is very limited. I do play movies on it though. There is so little of value on cable, why bother... and I can't afford it any way. For everyone's info, all the Alaska "reality" TV shows are pretty much 110% BS on every level. Ice Road Truckers, the Bering Sea fishing stuff, the gold mining, the folks living in the wilderness - total garbage and grossly over dramatized from beginning to end. I'd have to say though that the one that is the least over done are the Bering Sea crabbing shows. That is officially designated as the most dangerous job in the US. Those boats get overloaded sometimes and just disappear w/o a trace in violent storms.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #24
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

I settle down every day after work, open a beer, and watch the Virginian Series.
It's the best thing on TV. That, with some extra butter, microwave popcorn, I'm a happy camper!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

I watched the show, but don't know what to comment since the thread has gone so far off subject.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I watched the show, but don't know what to comment since the thread has gone so far off subject.
Threads go off topic. That's why they're called threads, and not Laser Beams.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

I think I understand that. However, I thought I may have something to add, since I actually watched the show.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #28
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I don’t think we are all that far off topic. Go ahead, what are your thoughts Bill?
Sheltered TV Watcher
Unread 07-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #29
Michael D Hankinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Sheltered TV Watcher

All of you finally made me search the on-demand program and watch the "Gunsmithing" program. Worst pc of Crap I've ever seen and I have watched the Detroit Lions for 60 years!!
Michael D Hankinson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael D Hankinson For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There is some wonderful programming on the Smithsonian channel... America in Color has some great rarely seen colorized footage.....you can watch on demand....also starting Sunday night The Pacific War.... will be featured.... well done productions...
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote