Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Unread 03-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just guessing, but the idea of engraving something for a gift is a great idea as a memento. Most of these guns were bought in era to be used by the buyer and not by alot of prestigious folks that maybe monogrammed things is my guess. The fact that Parker put a place to monogram and low percentage of guns that actually has an engraved badge sort of speaks to this, especially for the lower grade guns. Maybe the higher grade bespoke guns have more monogramming?

I'm sort of indifferent to it, as to creating value that really depends could help, could hurt. But if you own the gun and it makes you happy have an initial(s) on it, go for it who cares. I guess real question is a personal issue, would you pay more or less for a gun monogrammed for or by some Joe Blob regular fella? It sort of like reincarnation idea. When someone says they are reincarnated its always someone famous and not some regular guy (Crash Davis, Bull Durham)

Last edited by Todd Poer; 03-12-2018 at 07:43 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 03-13-2018, 01:55 AM   #12
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

This shield is on my father’s 1915 DHE; 12-gauge; 28-inch barreled 1 ˝ -frame. It appears to be engraved “S.F.”.

I would really like to know who S.F. was. For me, this enduring personalization is an enhancement. (I have no idea what it does to extrinsic, or resale, value.)

At least I asked my father before be passed away from whom he acquired all four of his Parkers. This gun was bought from his hunting and fishing buddy, a local sporting goods retailer, who would likely have been a receiver of guns no longer used by their original owners or their families. I checked with his son, and there are no extant shop records for Macone Sporting Goods, of Concord, Massachusetts.

The research letter just says it was ordered by Boston retailer William Reed & Sons in 1916.

Maybe the local gun clubs have a comprehensive list of their members I could examine...one last implausible shot at determining attribution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dhe.med..jpg (512.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg dhe.setter.eng..jpg (514.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Unless it was going to be my “forever” fun I wouldn’t do it. I suppose it might be able to be “aged” but ...

Finding an old gun with engraving is another story. I think it is a nice tie to the history of the fun. Below is a photo of the shield on one of my Hussey’s. I believe is is the Gilmore family crest. The motto translates to “It shall be given to those who persevere.”
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
But what if you did it now on a 100 year old gun, where the badge has been untouched for that long. Interesting idea. For me it would be no sweat if just engraved first letter of last name in same style "P". In my case it would be just a push, now if my man Mark slaps an R on there, well then maybe gun doubles in value, but only if he sells his Orvis snake boots with the gun.
It is Prime Time rattler season here. This past Sunday, I pulled on the ‘ol gokeys to clean up a particularly “snakey” looking woodpile at the house. Afterwards, while enjoying a celebratory beverage, and tossing the ball for the boys, I thought of you Todd, so I took a snap of your “favorite” boots!! Enjoy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2A3977D0-0AD5-42CE-BB3E-314DA52F8202.jpg (515.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3B924B33-9CFF-4915-AED0-2AD29121F04D.jpg (516.0 KB, 1 views)
Unread 03-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I have a few Parkers with engraved ovals - the first is Rear Admiral Thomas Perry's DH Damascus 20ga. after Abe Chaber refinished the wood and added a leather covered pad. - The second is Jessie Alvord Bishop's little 28 ga. DHE - and the third is a Remington DHE 20 ga. and I don't know who S.S. is/was. Then there is Jessie Bishop's again and Adm. Thos. Perry's (before refinishing) and Jessie Bushop's together. I'm still looking for the picture of Katherine H. Romig's 28 ga. Repro PG, BTFE, DT, Q1 & Q2 engraved oval.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0293.JPG (248.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0090.JPG (132.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 044.JPG (98.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3706.jpg (296.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg JAB.jpg (484.4 KB, 2 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
It is Prime Time rattler season here. This past Sunday, I pulled on the ‘ol gokeys to clean up a particularly “snakey” looking woodpile at the house. Afterwards, while enjoying a celebratory beverage, and tossing the ball for the boys, I thought of you Todd, so I took a snap of your “favorite” boots!! Enjoy!!
Love it. Though will have to say those dang boots look drier than my Grandaddy's scalp, and he has been dead and buried for close to 20 years. Man those are some tough boots. Maybe next year they will get good and broken in

Good stuff.
Unread 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #17
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I have a few Parkers with engraved ovals - the first is Rear Admiral Thomas Perry's DH Damascus 20ga. after Abe Chaber refinished the wood and added a leather covered pad. - The second is Jessie Alvord Bishop's little 28 ga. DHE - and the third is a Remington DHE 20 ga. and I don't know who S.S. is/was. Then there is Jessie Bishop's again and Adm. Thos. Perry's (before refinishing) and Jessie Bushop's together. I'm still looking for the picture of Katherine H. Romig's 28 ga. Repro PG, BTFE, DT, Q1 & Q2 engraved oval.

Those are nice. One of these days when in the market for damascus gun Im going to have remember that gun engraved with a TP and inquire about it.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 03-24-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Unread 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

I recently acquired VH 118995 a 12 gauge with factory 24” barrels. Besides being the earliest known example of only two made it also has the distinction of being one of the last guns Brad Bachelder ever worked on. Brad and his crew restored the gun to as new condition in every respect. I had Geoffrey Gournet engrave the shield. Barring disaster it will travel through time and will age appropriately with the rest of the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 98EA0F0C-1CCB-4E29-8526-AF01BD3A7F4F.jpeg (145.3 KB, 4 views)
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 03-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Those are nice. One of these days when in the market for damascus gun Im going to have remember that gun engraved with a TP and inquire about it.

It is a very handy fair-weather grouse and woodcock gun - light, agile and pretty. A great little companion on long walks.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #20
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Never heard of someone not buying or buying a gun because the oval was engraved. I have a couple of Parkers with engraved ovals and I love them wished I knew the men who once owned the guns and we could talk guns, birds and dogs.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post: