Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Jacob Glahn
Unread 02-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
Jeffrey H. Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Jacob Glahn

Though it seems the research letter request for my 10ga. Lifter will yield little if any information, I did recently learn that my gun was likely engraved by Jacob Glahn.

I have reposted some pics of my $100/D grade gun, they should be of the quality to really zoom and see detail.

I would be interested in opinions regarding Glahn's engraving. Easy for me to say I like it, it's on my gun. But as I stated before, though his engraving might be more "simplistic" in the eyes of some, I like his attention to anatomy and background in regards to his gun dog engravings. I feel especially fortunate that as only a single gun owner, this gun looks to be a "sportsman's" gun, in that it has the four hunting dogs engraved as the primary theme of the gun.

Glahn's dogs have much more appeal than the "scooby-doo" characters and the "flying-turnips". Being a "D" type grade, my gun is not overlly adorned with scroll and other gingerbread. It has some scroll and other enhancements as well as a multitude of border patterns blended to give a rich unique look to the gun.

Please post opinions if you agree/disagree with Glahn having engraved my gun. If he didn't, please specify what other (Spangler?) might have engraved my gun in 1874.

Please post pictures of some known work of Glahn's, I have seen the "cow gun" and "chicken thief" photo's. There was some other mention in the forum archives but not much for pictures.

I did find a picture of Mr. Glahn that I posted, perhaps someone can confirm the accuracy. Also an obituary from Fulton, NY.(Posted as .PDF) Seems Glahn and family and several other engraving families split there time amongst the several gun manufactures along the Erie Canal during this era. Glahn also worked for: Baker, Smith, LeFever, Colt and Sharps from what I have read. I'm not sure how long his tenure was with Parker.

One signature trait I see in the vignettes from Glahn is usually some indication the wind is blowing as seen in the background trees and foliage. In particular is the spindly overswept branches that appear to have the leaves being blown off. Also most of the grasses and other vegetation are usually wind-curled. Zooming on that Setter really reveals some detail in his engravings with his ability to etch the hair patterns on the dog. On the trigger guard, I think this is a Golden or at least some sort long coat retriever, you can see where possibly he messed up on the eye. Doesn't appear to be scratched or gouged after the fact. Otherwise I think that is a great engraved scene for a "D" grade trigger guard.

It would be really nice to see some pics of any other "4-Dog Lifters" of this time period. Please post pics or references to pics if possible.

Thanks to all that might reply or comment!

Jeffrey Smith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160223_214637 (1).jpg (512.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20160223_215156 (1).jpg (508.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20160223_214952.jpg (489.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20160223_215103.jpg (504.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Jacob Glahn - Parker Engraver.jpg (529.3 KB, 35 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jacob Glahn Obituary.pdf (944.2 KB, 58 views)
Jeffrey H. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey H. Smith For Your Post:
Unread 02-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Unscrew your trigger guard and look at the trigger plate under the guard. Glahn sometimes signed his work there.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jeff,Thanks for the pictures,what amazing to me is the way my fellow engraver back in the day dressed sitting at there all day work at a bench with natural light with derby,tie,apron in a shop all day with no air conditioning.That's one heck of a heavy duty engravers vise Mr.Glahn is sitting there with. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James J. Roberts For Your Post:
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Jacob Glahn is my all time favorite Parker Bros. factory engraver. I can look at his work for hours. Now just to find the hours.....
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Jeffrey H. Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, Had the gun apart earlier this week with a skilled gunsmith an d we didn't notice any initials, or name hidden under the guard.

JJ, thanks for your trained eye to notice the tools of Mr. Glahn 's trade. I looked his bench over and had no idea what he was sitting with. Just seemed like a cool photo and thought worth posting. Seems a little more validated now with your comment, thanks.
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
Jeffrey H. Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

[B]Autumn Daze....

[B] Can you confirm that my gun was engraved by Mr. Glahn?? - Based on your hours of examining his work.
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

The Parkers that I have seen with Glahn's signature have all been higher grade guns that he was obviously quite proud of. Other lower grade Parkers made during the years in which he was engraving for Parker Bros. may have been engraved by him but then, maybe not. Without the signature or written records... But it resembles his work.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Thanks for sharing Jeff
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,421 Times in 4,595 Posts

Jeff,
When i looked at your gun, i compared it in detail to photos i had from when i personally reviewed the chicken thief gun. They ARE certainly engraved by the same hand. However, the chicken theif gun is not signed.

The milkcow gun is signed by Glahn, and it does show some similarity in in the engraving to your gun, but not nearly as similar as to the chicken thief gun.

Being that all the guns are from the same time period (all within 1,500 serial numbers of each other). The cow gun being ghe earliest. Chicken thief being the later and yours in the middle, I would agree that your gun was likely engraved by Glahn.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
engraver Jacoh Glahn
Unread 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default engraver Jacoh Glahn

Jeff, Any chance of getting a print of Mr. Glahn at his engraving bench? I would like one to send to the historian of my engravers guild. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!