Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Jerry VanHorn
PGCA Member

Member Info

From 1894 to 1934...4100 16 ga. hammer guns were made..And..ONE Eagle grade..That's all the info. the LC Club has..
Jerry VanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

4100 doesn't sound all that rare. I wonder why not more are seen?
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

I wonder that too Mills, very interesting.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
Jerry VanHorn
PGCA Member

Member Info

I thought that sounded like a lot too. I went back and checked..4100 is what Drew H. posted ! Way more than Parker 16 hammer guns..
Unread 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

That number cant be correct unless a lot of them are in deep hiding.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #16
John Liles
PGCA Member

Member Info

While certainly any single record might be in error, the records referred to are a compilation from all of the individual surviving records form the factory. Pretty unlikely that there's any significant disparity between the "REAL" number of 16 ga hammer gun and the number of examples extracted from the records.
I'll say this, they are out there, but they don't come up for sale often. When they do show up for sale, they are often "rode hard and put up wet". I picked up one on the cheap a few years back on one of the auction sites. The stock was covered entirely in what appeared to be a lace-on elephant scrotum, leaving no view of what lay beneath, and the 28" twist steel barrels looked pretty dodgy. When the gun arrived it was with great trepidation that I cut the laces and removed the elephant scrotum. The original stock beneath was without a single defect. I had the barrels refinished by one of our trusted sources, and the wood refinished by another. The gun is beautiful, and it turns out that she's only one of a handful of 28" twist steel 16 ga hammer guns ever produced by LC Smith. She's choked full and tight mod, and a real pleasure to shoot. I've been offered many times what I've got in her, but she's Alyssa's chosen hammer gun, and I suspect it might be a while before I get another shot at one.
I'd guess that Destry's comment that folks just hold on to them is probably the ticket, as it seems that a decent number of the guns were produced.
John Liles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Liles For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #17
Jerry VanHorn
PGCA Member

Member Info

John..My 16 is a 28" twist barrel gun too. I bought it from a friend who inherited a bunch of guns..and was not a gun guy. The barrels and stock are both 90%..and the gun is at Jerry Andrews now for color. The steel barrel gun was in a pawn shop in Miami. Those are 2 of the 3 that I have ever seen for sale. Mine is in a vintage 2 gun case with my Parker 16 hammer..j...
Unread 07-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

All very interesting info, I appreciate the responses. Mine is a 28 inch pistol grip with damascus barrels. Well worn but very solid, with some cleaning I think it would be pretty presentable. Has the standard low drop at heel so it wouldn't suit me well for a smallbore duck gun. I might give it a try on squirrels, or I might sell it, or I might just leave it in the safe with all my other guns I never shoot....

Every notice that? You have all these damn guns but you only ever get around to shooting maybe three or four of them.
Unread 07-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #19
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

4100 is a lot in the double gun world. I think John Liles is right though. Folks just hold on to them. I keep meaning to add an LC Smith hammer gun to my collection and one day it will happen.

I got a long range this year, so the biggest goal on the LC Smith column is met
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #20
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
4100 is a lot in the double gun world. I think John Liles is right though. Folks just hold on to them. I keep meaning to add an LC Smith hammer gun to my collection and one day it will happen.

I got a long range this year, so the biggest goal on the LC Smith column is met
Discussions like this usually are forbearers of bad decisions on my part!!