Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Orvis
Unread 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Orvis

Anyone going this WE to the Orvis American SxS event? Should be a good outing.
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,922 Times in 421 Posts

Any reports from The Orvis Game Fair? The weather cooperated on Saturday at least. I'm not hearing much of anything. Enquiring minds want to know.
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,028 Times in 441 Posts

Cindy and I attended Sat, it is a first class event which seemed to blend the veteran outdoorsman with the novice. We sat in on the falconry demo, cooking demo and tasted some fine scotch, wine and whiskey. Prior to the alcohol I shot the 50 bird SxS event which was 5 pairs at 5 stations. It was a shame that little effort was put into the number of presentations considering the quality of this facility. Hopefully they will take the time to develope the SxS shooting portion as I think their focus is on the Sunday sporting tournament.

A worth while event for certain if you can drive in within 2 to 3 hours I would say.
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

I agree with Brian. Did not make it this year but attended last year and was quite impressed with the 'mini-Vintagers' orientation of vendors and extracurricular activities such as the falconry, etc. Did not shoot the event so can't comment on the target regimen(s) or presentation, but having the two events (Orvis and Vintagers) now back in the same area of the country within 2 weekends makes a very nice back-to-back pair of shooting weekends.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

We went to both and entered and shot SxS in both. We went to Orvis last year and it was a bit larger and better attended this year, at least it seemed more crowded. There were five SxS stations and shooters shot ten times for each presentation. It was well attended and there were plenty of SxS shooters moving from one station to the next. The vendor area seemed larger with all the usual dealers plus several local distillers, foods, and clothing.

Dover Furnace is a very nice venue and the stations and presentations for the SxS were organized
by bore, hammer, and hammerless. We had shot there back in June with the Vintagers but many of the stations/ presentations were different this time around keeping us on our toes. There were two large Vendor tents and several smaller stand alone with all the usually vendors. We attended the dinner on Saturday night and got meet many of the group and members of chapters near and far. It was a first class event and we will definitely be back for both next year. For those like myself who live downstate NY having the two one week apart was a real bonus, plus the Vintagers fell on a holiday weekend for those of us in education in NY so we had Thursday and Friday off to play.

We could never attend when the Vintagers were in MD, just too far and I hope they stay at Dover for a few years before moving on.

The piper should get a Medal of Honor for endurance and the tunes added to the overall ambiance and it was kind of neat to see shooters in kilts of various tartans. I like Lagavulin, does that me Scottish?
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote