Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

better crank up that reloader..
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default better crank up that reloader..

was just back from chores and got to thinking it aint long till hunting season will be here...decided to go out and relearn and set my reloader up for some light field loads...i started at 7.30 pm and before i knew it it was11.00 pm..time sure can go by when reloading first thing i knew i had loaded up several boxes... one more session like this will give me enough shells for this coming season of dove hunting...im making up 7/8 ounce loads with the cost of lead and a lot of shooting a man gotta stretch his lead a little futher...plus the patterns a 12 ga full choked gun throws are just about unreal...may have to use my imp. cly. gun to be able to hit any thing... im just about got enough dove and quail loads do you... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

Charlie,

I am ready for Sept. 1st..North Zone opens for doves.Hwy 10 runs right through San Antonio.North zone on one side,South zone on other side.North opens 9/1 and South 2 weeks later.How do doves know that?
On 9/1st they all flY over to the South Zone or so it seems.
There are over 1,000.000 white wings around San Antonio.They have pushed the smaller,less aggresive Mourning dove out of the area,hardly ever see one any more.My favorite gun for doves is my 12 hammer with 7/8th loads of 7.5 shot...
Regards,
Bill
william faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

we dont have many white winged doves in north miss. yet..ive seen some around towns there quite bigger than the morning dove... are the white wings as good to eat as a regular dove... are they eaieser or harder to hit than regular doves...i sure to enjoy opening day of dove season...our seasons open first saturday in sept. ...i aint much of a shot but sure do enjoy pulling the trigger on them old doubles... charlie
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

Charlie,
Yep..these White Wings are great on the plate.Wrap bacon around breast and cook on charcoal grill..They are much larger than Mourning Doves.
They do not fly as eratic as the Mourning but fly in big flocks ,fly higher and very fast..great pass shooting.
Texas is so dry this year that unless we get some rain..I will be at a cattle water tank in camo net with my little open choked 28 the first of the season.
Shooting comes fast and furious when 20-30 of these big boys get thirsty..
Really my favorite shoot now that I don't hunt ducks anymore......Bill
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

couldn't wait til the bird season here on the west... loaded up a box of #6's and at 7/8 oz's with some 700x I went out and got two cottontail rabbits this last weekend. enough for one on the bbq pit saturday night and the other went in the crock pot for stew on Sunday. Both were great tasting and satisfied my game cravings til I can get some of the morning doves which is soon coming.

Bill, I might just have to use your cattle water idea as we also have had our water sucked out of the ranch this summer so far. There is one cattle pond just below our place an seen a little burdie traffic around there so that might be just the place to blind up and settle with some sandwiches and sodas and my 7/8ths in my SxS...
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

Keith..
Love Rabbit stew..mostly old tough Jack rabbits around here..not fit to eat.
I grew up in Alabama,took my 410 to school and would pick up one or two cotton tails on the way home.Those were innocent days in this world...Bill
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, those days are gone. I grew up in South Georgia where we could shoot in our backyards and fish in all the neighbors ponds with out any fuss. now they are all gone and the new neighbors arent as friendly. Glad my father still has his property out there. With plenty of fishing holes and many deer and birds I look forward to going back there every chance I get.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

rabbit stew is probly the best thing ever put oin a plate.yep and my friendly neighbors have all passed in this life or have turned non friendly in our neck of the woods..i guess im an old hold out still let people come and go on my property...the good days they say are gone but i say there still some good ones ahead...ive had a few invitations to come and hunt with a few of the good ole boys here on the parker site...have got to go on a pheasant hunt and was treated to the best hunt in my life...also got a duck hunt to go on if uncle sam ever gives me a raise. weve had rain here in miss. soits been an unusal here we to are usally dry about now.... i woulda loaded 6 s up but them 7 1/2 is all i had in small shot...ive learned a lot about reloadingin the past few years and i know one thing for sure...i like it....... charlie
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

You can shoot Rabbits in July??
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

if rabbits are bothering your garden its legal or if you dont get caught... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: