Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

SBT
Unread 09-25-2023, 05:18 PM   #11
Mike Scelzo
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default SBT

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a nice one.

I have had one for a few years. Being it's current caretaker, I bring it out on nice sunny days to shoot a few rounds at a local club. Maybe I'm being over protective but the gun is older than I am, so it deserves my respect.

I shoot 1 1/8 oz. AA's at 1145 fps. The recoil is minimal and the gun eats them like a free lunch. It shoots as well or better for me than any of my modern guns and the name of one of them starts with a K.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
Mike Scelzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scelzo For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2023, 05:38 PM   #12
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Scelzo View Post
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a nice one.

I have had one for a few years. Being it's current caretaker, I bring it out on nice sunny days to shoot a few rounds at a local club. Maybe I'm being over protective but the gun is older than I am, so it deserves my respect.

I shoot 1 1/8 oz. AA's at 1145 fps. The recoil is minimal and the gun eats them like a free lunch. It shoots as well or better for me than any of my modern guns and the name of one of them starts with a K.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
I’m in complete agreement with you, except I would say it would be more respectful to shoot the old girl exclusively and leave the K gun in the cabinet. Better yet, sell the modern guns and buy a backup Parker SBT.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2023, 05:47 PM   #13
GunnerGrilli
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
I’m in complete agreement with you, except I would say it would be more respectful to shoot the old girl exclusively and leave the K gun in the cabinet. Better yet, sell the modern guns and buy a backup Parker SBT.

You can never have enough Parker SBT's!!!!

Bobby
GunnerGrilli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GunnerGrilli For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2023, 06:34 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

My K gun was made in 1967 and my first P single was made in 1917. I will be shooting my Parker single when the K gun is covered in a coat of dust. Both have great histories, but the Parkers are the survivors.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2023, 08:24 PM   #15
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,070 Posts

The only reason I even shoot trap is my vintage SBT’s.
New SBT Guns
Unread 11-16-2023, 05:57 PM   #16
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Default New SBT Guns

A long time ago, I shot a lot of trap. Gradually drifted away, but I always admired SBT guns. For the last several years I have thought about buying a Parker to fill a niche, but didn't want to spend that much on something I wouldn't use.

I purchased a really nice late Ithaca a while back on this board. Just a couple of weeks ago I picked up a basic LC Smith Olympic grade in good condition for a song. I also purchased a Fox K single from a member here for a good honest price. During buying these I noticed a Parker SBC on Gunbroker with a low starting price and in 10 days it got no bids. It was not relisted. Starting bid was $1000. I called them and they said it was a consignment with no bids in several cycles so they were going to return it as owner was firm. I asked them to relist it and I bought it as soon as it hit for the opening.

I got the gun yesterdayand it was actually nicer than expected. Certainly better looking than ad photos. Looks to be all original finishes. Great 32" barrel, perfectbores, good blue, silvered reciever with strong case under the lever and on the flats. Engraving is sharp and well done. Only problems were listed and shown in the ad. It has a very tiny hairline crack at the back of the forearm which should be invisible after repair. There are a few small and shallow "wormlike" drag marks on the butt stock. Engraving is a little dirty and it has a Morgan adjustable pad.

My plan is to deep clean (sonic), repair the hairline crack, and install a period recoil pad. (I also removed an Edmund recoil unit I found under the Morgan.

I contacted John Davis and asked about an SBT he is holding in the "Milestone" thread because I really liked the look considering it has been modified. It had what looks to be a 1/2" or so black spacer with a Silver's style thick pad. The gun I got already had a 1/2" black spacer that fit the stock perfectly with all angles correct. I have ordered a pad and will install it. It should be possible to do it without working anywhere near the original finish.

Any way, while I have no real plan to shoot trap again, they all together should make a nice display.

When I clean up the SBG I will post a couple of pictures.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 11-16-2023, 06:48 PM   #17
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Orphan Annie has that same forend crack. It was there when I bought her and it’s still there.
Unread 11-16-2023, 09:06 PM   #18
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
Orphan Annie has that same forend crack. It was there when I bought her and it’s still there.
I didn't mention it in the post, but before the gun arrived I checked to see if there were any fore ends available as replacements in case it was serious. Oddly enough I easily found multiple factory original units from $25 to $100. Most of them were in good shape with the exception of the same hairline crack in line with the left side mounting screw in the face of the fore arm. I had never heard mention of it but the results of my 20 minute search leads me to believe that their must be a common flaw related to the screw location and stress. Pictures I have seen make me think that it is a problem on the ejector model. Two pictures I saw of non ejector forearms had not cracked.

I am going to glue it and insert a fine brass pin from inside so I don't have to think about it. I haverepaired cracks in numerous foreends on break action guns in this area. My preferred method now is to remove the wood, coat the crack on the inside with a gelled super glue, then gently spread the crack apart and release it with the outside of the crack pointing down. Five or 6 repeats seems to pump the glue down into the crack. With a light plastic protected clamp, the clamp will usually close completely and a tiny visible glue bead appear outside. Wipe the glue bead off with a paper towel moist with solvent and let it dry. I then drill a 3/32" hole at an angle from the rear area covered by the iron, I mix a drop of gel epoxy, force it into the hole with a section of 1/16" welding rod and then seat the rod below the surface. Buff the outside when dry and you generally can't see the crack. For buttstocks in the grip area, I do the same with 1/8" rod.

Technically I actually use brazing rod to avoid any future iron corrosion problems.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 11-17-2023, 12:04 PM   #19
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Or you could just do what I'm doing and ignore it . In all seriousness I should probably repair it, but in the nine years I've owned it I've shot a lot of trap with it and it still looks just like it did the day I bought it. I sorta follow the tenant of the mechanic who used to work on my MG; I'd point out some mystery noise or something to him and he'd say, "Well, it'll either get worse, or it won't."
Unread 11-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

Yup, many used Parker forends out there, but very few stocks, almost none in original condition. I found my first Parker single in 1973, still have it. I have bought a few more since and still have most of them. I won't buy one with a bad or missing stock because stocks in decent shape are so hard to find.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: