Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Bradley,

D6 is for Damascus Steel barrels. Restoring your gun will cost thousands of dollars. We don't know what you paid, but from your story it t sounds as if you took it home for near nothing. I do not have my fingers on the plus of Parker values though my guess is a restored AAHE should fetch over $10,000. If you decide to restore we have a number of top notch people we can recommend. And again this is not a job for the chap that works on everyday guns.

Kindest, Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

It is a really nice find. Please plan for a first class restoration or if you do not want to invest in it, offering it to someone on this site would be greatly appreciated.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
Bradley
Forum Associate

Member Info

YES..... barrels for some reason are nickle plated. I dont know why or when. Because they are in great shape. So now we are in process to getting it removed
Bradley Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #14
Bradley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes.... barrels for some reason were nickle plated...
Unread 11-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
Bradley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Opening day.... yes someone nickle plated the barrels.... I know it's sad but now it's time to get it back to it's like original state and enjoy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bradley Roberson For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Roberson View Post
Opening day.... yes someone nickle plated the barrels.... I know it's sad but now it's time to get it back to it's like original state and enjoy it.
Just why would someone do that! We will never know
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #17
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Bradley, please slow down. You have come across a Parker of significance. Do yourself and all Parker aficionados a favor and do your research and planning carefully or you could do more harm than good to this firearm. Stripping the nickle from the barrels and refinishing them is a very delicate process that MUST be done correctly. Most of the patrons on this board would take months if not years to start a restoration on a gun of this quality. It takes great skill to properly restore a gun like this one and there are probably less than thirty people or companies in the U.S. that are qualified (some may say ten or less). It will cost several thousand dollars to do it right and likely take several years. I do not know you or your financial situation but I would like to offer you this advice regardless. If you are not interested in spending the time to research the people that are qualified to do a proper restoration, spending the money to do it right, being patient for a few years to have it finished, then please sell it as is to someone who is willing to do all this. You and the gun will likely both be better off for doing this. You will profit considerably, and at a much faster rate of time. You could likely buy two or three nice but lesser quality guns to display for the money this gun is worth as is.
Please consider the old adage: Haste makes waste.
I am thrilled for you that you came across this fabulous Parker shotgun. Just enjoy it as it came to you for a time while you are considering how to proceed.
This is just my humble opinion, do not take offense as absolutely none is intended.
David Noble is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to David Noble For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #18
Bradley
Forum Associate

Member Info

David Noble, I agree I have done alot of research on these guns in the past few months and i have read the process of the restoration on just the barrels and it is a long process I have learned. I have learned also this parker is very rare and unheard of find or even to see it available for purchase. You are not the first one to ask me to slow down and I appreciate it all. I am constantly amazed as I learn more and more. I have met with a renowned gun builder who builds antique custom guns like this one. He said exactly the same thing to me... he said slow down let's make a plan for this rare opportunity so this thread is to keep the story going for the guts and the history of this opportunity for it to be brought back to life. Some have the opinion I just want money for it. If that was the case my first offer was 5 grand and that is alot more than I paid for it so I would have taken it on the spot. I hesitated for a reason. I want to see the history of this myself. If it takes a few months or years that's fine with me. That's why I have not just jumped on offers. I was offered 2 remake parkers with a market value of 17grand. I'm still working with the gunsmith on more data and waiting on the research letter now. I started this journey as you prob know months ago I have surely did my research. And I appreciate all of the help all of the interest and even all of the criticism. This is a great story piece!! Thank you for your input!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bradley Roberson For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #19
Dean Hanson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bradley, Awesome find! I hope you are able to bring this amazing Parker back to its glory. Thank you for sharing.
Unread 11-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #20
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

This could morph into a very interesting Parker Pages article.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post: