Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,060 Times in 283 Posts

Scott, I'm heading down south along with my brother n law to meet up with Phil Carr on the 14th. Not sure what areas Phil has in mind. We may run into each other!
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,315 Times in 352 Posts

Hope to see you,
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #13
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

We should know after December 6 how the season will be. We for the most part missed out on the all important monsoon rains. Some preseason scouting hasn't been very good. Substantially less birds than last year.
Based on the rain patterns I think coveys will be scattered and smaller in number.
Phillip Carr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had lunch with several of the professional guides in Patagonia last Thursday and they've been running dogs and both have been disappointed with the Mearns numbers. However they have been encouraged by the numbers of desert quail (Scales and Gambles). Hopefully with better desert quail numbers the pressure on the Mearns will subside to some degree.
I'm sure I'll be in southeast New Mexico in January hunting quail.
Unread 12-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
Terry Hobson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am traveling to Patagonia for the first time, should arrive on 12/9. Hate to read the not so good reports. I have followed the monsoon reports so was sort of expecting this. On a positive note I will get to see new country and hopefully get my feet wet on Arizona quail hunting.
I have hunted scales in NM a couple of times, really enjoyed it. I did kill one Mearns near Ruidoso NM, was a beautiful rooster.
I know Patagonia is known for Mearns, is there also decent desert quail hunting in the area?
Terry Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
Any of you going to be in Arizona Mearns Quail Hunting this year? What dates as maybe we can get together in Patagonia for breakfast or dinner to talk guns, dogs or bird hunting?
I'll be getting to my place in Bisbee, Feb 3 leaving a week before the season closes. I normally hunt around me place but wouldn't mind checking out Patagonia. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.
Unread 12-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
We should know after December 6 how the season will be. We for the most part missed out on the all important monsoon rains. Some preseason scouting hasn't been very good. Substantially less birds than last year.
Based on the rain patterns I think coveys will be scattered and smaller in number.
Well, I predict a crap season ....because i wont be there
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #18
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just finished first week of Mearns Quail Hunting in greater Patagonia area. Extremely wet if you are hunting with only one 4-wheel drive vehicle in your party be extremely careful and don't drift off solid roads as we had to pull one out of the mud in the San Rafael Valley. We found the covey count very similar to last year which is a covey every 2 hours. Wide range of bird count in the coveys, some area 4-6 birds were the norm however we found multiple coveys with 12 or more. Seems liked some areas which had received more summer rain and also had a higher number of birds per covey.
Good hunting is there to be had but you'll need quality dogs and strong legs!!!!!
Temperatures this week were on the high side (70s) so hunting was hard on the dogs so we rotated dogs every two hours (Americans Brittany, French Brittanys and Braque Frances).
Good reports on bird count west of I-19 and forecast next week has much lower temperatures.
Unread 12-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #19
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Terry, I wish you had stayed and talked a little longer on Thursday as my brother and I would have sent you to Hog Canyon. Mid-week it is the best location for a first time Patagonia Mearns Hunters.
Unread 12-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
Terry Hobson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Uh, well which fellow where you?
Could have used some guidance(not the $800 per day though). I hunted too many days closer to town, very rugged and few birds. I drove down near border yesterday. I now understand why most hunting is done down there.
I have shot a few birds but been mostly a frustrating week.
Terry Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Hobson For Your Post: