Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Short 10-searching for some data beyond the spreadsheet
Unread 10-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #1
Garhart Stephenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Short 10-searching for some data beyond the spreadsheet

Well folks, I have poured through all of the data I can find and am still looking for a couple things. I am about to develop loads if I can not find anyone else who has, but figured I would ask here first. No need in spending money pressure testing ammo if the same has already been done. Two things I seek: 1 5/8 oz. lead shot data with WW plastic base hulls using Longshot and the SP10 wad instead of the gas seal+fiber wad+ shot wrapper combo. The second item is a load of either 1 1/2 oz. or 1 5/8 oz. of BUFFERED lead using the above components.

I want loads that would be acceptable for damascus barrels, therefore lower pressures are desired and should be achievable with these components. High velocity is not a concern and actually somewhat counterproductive to my goal of efficient long range patterns. If anyone has done this, please share what you have learned. If not, I will eventually update this group with my findings and pressure testing data. Thank you.
Garhart Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Mr Stephenson, have you utilized the Search function on this forum? It's one of the tabs at the top of the page here. I highly recommend that you become an Annual Member in order to fully benefit from all the previously published methods, recipes and data on the short ten gauge loads.

Best, Dean

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Peter has done a great job of keeping the spread sheet updated with known loads and those loads some of us have developed and have had tested

when looking for a load using a short list of components - you maybe be limiting yourself to working one up and having it tested, I haven't seen that to be a big expense especially considering the peace of mind it gives me about retaining my digits on my left hand
Unread 10-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know it's a lighter payload of ITX10 but it's close to the same volume of lead that you're looking at. Maybe you'll find that data point useful.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25281
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looking at that ITX10-2 test load again and the space taken up by different shot types.

600 gr (1-3/8 oz) of ITX10-2 is the same volume as
636 gr of Bismuth #5 and
765 gr (1-3/4 oz) of Lead #5

If I was going to send in a new lead load to test, I'd probably try something around 26-28 gr. of Longshot under your 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 oz payload.
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote