Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Some Days are Diamonds, Some Days...
Unread 11-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

Default Some Days are Diamonds, Some Days...

...Are Stones. We've been escaping the Missouri deer hunters this past week, crossing over the border into Iowa where the firearms deer season begins in early December. Slim pickings so far -- more stones than diamonds. Lots of crop fields still standing on the farms we hunt, and, at least at first blush, the pheasant numbers seem to be proving out the DNR prognostications of lower bird numbers. I've been using my "new" VHE 12. It's a 30 inch barreled gun with .030/.049 chokes with a straight/splinter configuration and high dimensions. I'd like to report that the first shot I fired took a bird, but such is not the case. Our puppy, Aspen, worked hard for us, and he finally produced a young rooster at end of day when, on a whim, we stopped at a WMA with about an hour of shooting time left. He made a nice point in tall, heavy cover, and I rushed the shot being barely able to see the bird with big bluestem in my face. Aspen tried to retrieve the hard hit bird from a small water-filled ditch, but we had to give him a hand. The water soaked bird was a real trophy for us in a young season with few chances at Iowa pheasants, and even fewer at quail.

All week long we've gotten up large bucks, most with does. Several would be B&C candidates. We see this every season when we bird hunt Iowa during the rut. Today we hunted a new farm and got up several roosters and two nice coveys of quail that offered no shots. We'll log these coveys and roosters for later in the season when conditions are -- hopefully -- better. The VHE performed well when I did my part. I'd like the chokes a bit more open, but they make an impression on pheasants, and should be well suited for the few, tough roosters that make it to the late season.

A few more hunts in exile, and then our home season opens back up.

Key to the photos:

1. After a spring of heavy rains, the cover is heavy in South-Central Iowa, and many of the crops are still unharvested, making for tough hunting.
2. This is one of the many bucks we "flushed" from fence lines and draws while looking for a covey or rooster. Hard to tell from this photo, but this was a very(!) good buck. I'd be in the B&C record book several times over if I could carry buck shot in the left barrel and shoot the bucks that the dogs roust out.
3. I've seen buck rubs on fence posts several times over the years, and once on a telephone pole. I'd sure like to be there when these posts are rubbed! There are some very large bucks in Iowa, and we see them during our "exile week" when we cross the border leaving Missouri's deer hunters for the peace of our neighbor State.
4. Aspen tried to get our one pheasant out of the small water filled ditch the bird dropped into. He ended up dunking the hard hit bird -- but he was proud of his trophy.
5. Certainly not a suitable bird for a cover photo, this hard hit and water soaked rooster was a real trophy under the tough conditions we encountered, and it was my first pheasant taken with this 1912 Parker purchased with pheasants in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2735.jpeg (430.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2738.jpeg (291.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2740.jpg (519.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2725.jpg (516.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6504.jpg (515.1 KB, 6 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

Some days are a little rough. Hunted all day in KS on Saturday. I walked about 7 miles to get a shot at one rooster. Belle worked the bird for about 3 minutes before it held and my shot was terrible. We couldn't find the bird. It was a day where I saw plenty of birds just nothing in range. In one field, I saw 20 plus hens and only one rooster. Good news there are birds out there!

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 11-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ken, Glad you're finding birds (at least). I hope when the corn is all harvested we'll see more here in Southern Iowa, but I fear not. I'd still rather be hunting...even on a poor day.
Unread 11-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Thanks for posting some pictures of your hunt. This is always one of my favorite things to do in this forum is looking at all these great pictures. That cover reminds me of where I grew up in southern Michigan. I used to shoot at (and occasionally get) pheasants with my bow and arrow as a young boy. I saved up my money for a flu flu arrow and then the pheasants were in trouble
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 11-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
Garry,
Thanks for posting some pictures of your hunt. This is always one of my favorite things to do in this forum is looking at all these great pictures. That cover reminds me of where I grew up in southern Michigan. I used to shoot at (and occasionally get) pheasants with my bow and arrow as a young boy. I saved up my money for a flu flu arrow and then the pheasants were in trouble
Ed, I, too, shot a bow when I was a kid, and also had some flu-flu arrows. You were obviously a better shot as I never hit any sort of bird on the wing with mine. Growing up in Virginia, the only game bird available was quail. I can barely hit them with a shotgun, and have no chance whatsoever with a bow.

We are off again today for another "good walk spoiled" in great cover with few birds. Still, it beats working for a living.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

That sure looks like bird country.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,336 Times in 363 Posts

I leased 2,500 acres for quail and pheasant in the Corning-Creston area in the late 90s until a group of Omaha deer hunters bought my lease. Some great memories hunting that area with family and friends. The ashes of my first Brittany is spread on our favorite field just outside of Corning!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
I leased 2,500 acres for quail and pheasant in the Corning-Creston area in the late 90s until a group of Omaha deer hunters bought my lease. Some great memories hunting that area with family and friends. The ashes of my first Brittany is spread on our favorite field just outside of Corning!
That's some great country. We hunt as far west in Iowa as Taylor and Ringold counties, just to the south of Adams County. If the nesting season is good, there's decent mixed bag hunting in Southern Iowa -- not to mention world class deer hunting.

Not to mention Corning is the birth place of Johnny Carson!
Unread 11-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Once upon a time I knew a bit of Clark and Union counties. I have seen the most impressive fence posts rubbed almost in half. A lot of very nice folks in those areas let us hunt for the asking.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
Once upon a time I knew a bit of Clark and Union counties. I have seen the most impressive fence posts rubbed almost in half. A lot of very nice folks in those areas let us hunt for the asking.
Great country, Brett. Iowa is almost begging for out of state hunters, so you should start scheming to renew some old memories.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: